Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if there are any southern style buildings, be it kits or ready assembled models, on the market. Ones i am generally looking for is a station building / Booking office.

Thanks

·
Registered
65 Posts
In 4mm some of the Hornby Skaledale buildings would be OK (e.g. station bldgs R8716, R8714 and R8713; R8588 weighbridge, change the colours and you could probably use R8721 or R8683 for a signal box).

Some of the Ratio kits are Southern based, including 412 SR loading gauge, 432 SR precast fencing, 222 concrete footbridge, 204(?) station building, 490-2 signals and 513 Provender (goods) store.

Regards
Paul

·
Registered
213 Posts
Street Level Models (http://www.connorandbutler.co.uk/kits.html although that is in no way their complete range so I advise you e-mail them) do a kit of Lullingstone station (completed in 1939 but never opened and later demolished) which I have: it's classically SR 1930s brick with upward slanting canopies &c. &c. The Sales page (http://www.srgroup.fsnet.co.uk/Sales.htm) of the Southern Railways Group also offers a nondescript 1930s SR station building from Street Level Models. I suggest you contact SLM and I'm sure they'll explain more. They also do an "Odeon" signalbox. MJT do the concrete platforms supports (from www.dartcastings.co.uk) for platform extensions and wayside stations. Chris Nevard of this forum has produced an excellent halt from said components for Catcott Burtle.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I have used the old Hornby Dublo building for one of my stations. It needs a bit of "tarting up" and painting into more realistic colours but has a definite Southern flavour.

This one was picked up at a local swap meet for around $25 Australian (approximately 13 UK Pounds). It was in less than perfect condition and had a few dents and scrapes (they were made of metal) but it suited my purposes perfectly.

·
Registered
675 Posts
QUOTE (RA & FC @ 1 Jul 2008, 10:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Does anyone know if there are any southern style buildings, be it kits or ready assembled models, on the market. Ones i am generally looking for is a station building / Booking office.

Thanks

What type of Southern buildings are you looking for? Jeff's Hornby Dublo art deco style (Surbiton), or the style of, say, the Oxted line, or the Bluebell line to Lewes?

mal

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
The trouble with Southern buildings is the wide variety - don't forget that the Southern was formed of three constituent companies (well Four actually).

Which area of the Southern were you thinking about?

Apart from the art deco style above the Southern also built the new stations at Margate and Ramsgate in 1926, and to be fair Ramsgate resembles a large Weslyan chapel, whereas Margate is in a more traditional style.

Pre grouping buildings varied enormously from small wooden stations to grandiose brick and stone constructions.

Reagrds

·
Registered
4 Posts
I believe that the Superquick A10 terminus station is based on a Southern style. Can also be made up as a through station. Green doors too! (unless they've changed colours?) I think the police station can be adapted into a station too. Also consider some of the impressive Faller kits (and maybe Vollmer) which seem to bear a resemblance to Rye and other similar architecture.

steve22

·
Registered
495 Posts
I am contemplating making a station similar to Hatherleigh or KESR style stations for my modest Southern plank.tried to add piccy link but didnt work so did something wrong
//http://www.pbase.com/trackpass/image/100959414"[/url

·
Registered
217 Posts
I almost hesitate to recommend it, as I find them a pig to build, but the PECO station building kits LK12 and LK13 are pretty close to what Colonel Stephens achieved in a number of locations, including the KESR. However, a lot of his stations were simply platforms with no shelter or building whatsoever. I am experimenting with the idea of a simple platform structure, rather than a full station. If you want REALLY rural, you might consider mocking a platform up first and seeing what you think!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hi. In a catalogue of Ratio/Wills kits which I obtained in the U.K. last year, they show Craftsman Series kit number CK 16 and describe it as a brick country station with features found on the L.B.S.C.R. Wills also manufacture SS78 platform building shelter based upon those at Clapham Junction. I see in another reply on this forum, mention of Street Level Models and the Lullingstone Station kit. Connor and Butler advised me last year that they also do an Art Deco kit of Chessington Station although I could not find this on their web site. If you check the model railway magazines for articles regarding John Wass and his Brockley Green S.E.4 layout, he made a typical S.R. signal box from an old Hornby Dublo signal box, although collectors of old H.D. may consider this as heresy! Old news I realise, but the limited edition L.B.S.C.R. signal box from Hornby Skaledale via Hornby magazine was very appropriate. Unfortunately for us foreigners, where it takes forever via snail airmail to get our copies (our fault for choosing to live abroad?), all 1000 of these models apparently went in days (500 released in 2 batches - after the first release I asked to be put on the list in case of a possible second run, but was never contacted!). No one is saying if this very popular model will be repeated (not Hornby, Margate, nor the magazine staff or Ian Allan). Hope this helps?

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I have used the old Hornby Dublo signal box, repainted into more realistic colours (no more orange roof!) but not yet detailed with interior or window glazing. Not heresy if you can buy a scratched and damaged one cheaply at a swap meet!

That's also how i obtained the HD station building; mine needed a bit of judicious panel beating to straighten it out, and the paint was chipped anyway, so a repaint was quite in order.

·
Registered
46 Posts
i saw mike wild at bristol (hornby mag ed) and they are actively seeking suggestions for SR style era
buildings,
i did post on the hornby mag forum my suggestions such as axminster, corfe castle and sidmouth..
the real buildings are still there too !
also seaton junction is still in-situ...although abit dreary imho.

the art deco period is rather limited but stone type buildings will def have more appeal dontcha think?
the peco kits in stone look rather withered arm. but i am RTR really so kits horrify me lol !

i have my horsted keynes signal box on order that hornby mag have issued.
cant wait...

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
Though not a kit, a plan for an odean style signal box (DEAL) was published in either Railway modeler or BRM (sorry cant remember which and both have been donated to the club)
Steve

1 - 15 of 15 Posts