Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bachmann 4CEP is on the way in spring 2009.
If Hornby do a southern EMU, what should it be.
CIG VEP REP 4TC 4EPB 2EPB

·
Registered
531 Posts
Sounds good. I have trouble understanding Bach's thinking though. They have avoided SR steam locos like the plague - and a Rep told me in the summer they would not produce such animals because they do not sell. And yet they seem to be doing god things with southern electrics.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Hi Steve
I think Hornby will wait and see how Bachmann's 4CEP goes. They had that hydrid 2Bil in the early 60s, then the dreadful 466 (or was it 465?) a few years ago, which could have been so much better. A 4 car emu is much more of a gamble unless they can use their Mk1 coaches; a 4COR would be great, but even more specialized than the 4CEP. There's always the 3VEP, I suppose. Two car units are cheaper for the punters, though, and may sell more as a result. I wouldn't be surprised if next year's offerings are all pared back a little, anyway. Be interesting to see what they do.
mal

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
QUOTE (barrymx5 @ 30 Nov 2008, 13:29) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>......I have trouble understanding Bach's thinking though. They have avoided SR steam locos like the plague - ........

I must be dreaming then when I look at my Lord Nelson, N Class, Southern versions of both Standard 4s, my Standard Arther and they also chose to do the Brighton built version of the Fairburn Tank. Not the Derby built ones.

Andii

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
How about.......

5BEL, 6PAN, 2HAP or even 4CAP(2 x 2HAPS "glued" together.)

Regards

·
Registered
531 Posts
Point taken 5696Arethusa.

I should have spelled out SR as Southern Railway (not Southern Region). The Bachmann Southern Railway locos are a bit long in the tooth and clearly not up to current standards - eg N15, Bulleid pacifics, Schools, T9 etc.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
QUOTE (barrymx5 @ 1 Dec 2008, 17:25) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The Bachmann Southern Railway locos are a bit long in the tooth and clearly not up to current standards - eg N15, Bulleid pacifics, Schools, T9 etc.

Agreed on the Southern Railway point and the Nelson is a bit old now and looks it beside a Hornby Arthur but the N class is still a very fine model and the only one in my stud that has a CCM between loco and tender.
It's as shame it's a different colour to the Hornby Maunsel coaches.

Andii

·
Registered
675 Posts
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 1 Dec 2008, 17:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>5BEL, 6PAN, 2HAP or even 4CAP(2 x 2HAPS "glued" together.)
Good choice; I'd also include the 6PUL, 2Bil and Bulleid's 4SUB (rather than the 1930s one). All except the 4SUB had been phased out by the 1970s, though. Which one(s) do you think would sell well? That's the bottom line.
mal

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (Purley Oaks @ 2 Dec 2008, 11:17) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Which one(s) do you think would sell well? That's the bottom line.

I think the 2HAP could be a model with a lot of potential as variants were used on several regions other than the Southern, and, as I said earlier, they were later modified into 4CAP units by the simple expedient of painting one cab end black and permanantly coupling them together.

I also think the 5BEL would sell as the UK modeller seems to have a long running love affair with the Pullman train. Mind you the price of a 5 car unit could put people off!

Regards

·
Registered
675 Posts
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 2 Dec 2008, 13:43) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I think the 2HAP could be a model with a lot of potential as variants were used on several regions other than the Southern and they were later modified into 4CAP units by the simple expedient of painting one cab end black and permanantly coupling them together.
I also think the 5BEL would sell as the UK modeller seems to have a long running love affair with the Pullman train. Mind you the price of a 5 car unit could put people off!
Good call; I'd also go for the 2EPB. Do you know if Wrenn's 5BEL sold well or if they had trouble shifting them?
mal

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (Purley Oaks @ 2 Dec 2008, 14:35) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'd also go for the 2EPB. Do you know if Wrenn's 5BEL sold well or if they had trouble shifting them?

I completely forgot the 2EPB (and the 2LAV and 6PUL for that matter)

As to the 5BEL I think it sold quite well as if I remember the driving cars were sold as a pair and the trailers singly, which meant you could build the whole train up over a period of time.

I suspect Mal that if we're not careful we'll end up explaining what all the various codes for Southern units actually mean!

Regards

·
Registered
675 Posts
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 2 Dec 2008, 17:35) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>if we're not careful we'll end up explaining what all the various codes for Southern units actually mean!

Yes, but somehow there's more character in the codes...
or are we just losing it? Much more of this and the rest of the forum will be steadfastly avoiding us.
mal

·
Registered
531 Posts
How do you know we are not already! Only joking - I was mad enough to buy a Tri-ang pretend Southern Electric in 196?
I am more sensible now and stick to steam hauled stock west of Salisbury

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Purley Oaks @ 2 Dec 2008, 18:29) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yes, but somehow there's more character in the codes...
or are we just losing it? Much more of this and the rest of the forum will be steadfastly avoiding us.
mal

BRITHO "lost it" some time ago

(only joking - I think).

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
With careful design, a Bulleid 4SUB could also provide the basis for BR (SR) Bulleid-style 4EPB and 2EPB, with more work 2HAL and 2HAP/2SAP types.

Even so, I would vote for the 4SUB!

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (Brian Considine @ 3 Dec 2008, 07:12) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>BRITHO "lost it" some time ago

(only joking - I think).

I think I resemble that remark!!

(mind you - you drove me over the edge!
)

Regards

·
Registered
62 Posts
now I know it's none of Hornby's business making donor chassis- but a 2-HAP or 2EPB could be used beneath pretty well all SR EMUs with modeller mods, and I for one wd probably buy 5x 2-car sets and use DC kit bodies on them for variety. Variations below the boardline don't much bother me as long as the running is up to today's standards.

I agree with the comments re the Bachmann 4-Cep... whereas a 2-car unit is to me an acceptable compression, like a 5-coach express, I've no space to run a 2x4-car set, and my carriage sidings aren't long enough ( I mocked it all up with a Class 33 & 3 Mk1s to find out...).

2-car sets are more versatile imho..

Bob

·
Registered
233 Posts
QUOTE Bachmann Southern Railway locos are a bit long in the tooth I am sorry but I disagree on this point (well, only 50%) because the N Class is still a fine model and good enough for MRJ to praise its fidelity and performance. The problem is that simple, it is a plain loco and as such a damn good model.

Rather than an EMU or DMU, I would appreciate something really small such as an exLSWR B4 (notwithstanding DMR's forthcoming kit) as they worked all over the Southern and were distributed far further (and longer) than the US tanks.

However, if it has to be an EMU, a 2-BIL remains a perennial favourite.

Tim

·
Registered
675 Posts
QUOTE (southernsteve @ 30 Nov 2008, 13:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Bachmann 4CEP is on the way in spring 2009.
If Hornby do a southern EMU, what should it be.
CIG VEP REP 4TC 4EPB 2EPB

So are we all pleased with the recently announced 2EPB?
I am, for sure. Like the southern green livery a lot; never so keen on corporate blue, and to me the blue/grey always looks better on the fast/semi-fast 4CIGS/BIGS/CEPS/BEPS, rather than the suburban stock such as EPBs. Must be the small windows.
Being just 2 cars I guess Bachmann are hoping for more sales, too. Interestingly the Bachmann rep at Modelrail Scotland checked I'd pre-ordered my 4CEP. Wonder if pre-orders are slow?
mal

1 - 20 of 30 Posts