Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
I hope you're not encouraging Richard to put his prices up?

Some locos are a real hassle to do installs on and time is a factor. I have limited time to work on my layout so when I know a job is going to be time consuming I tend to pay for it to get done, so I can work on the things that I enjoy doing. If you think about it in terms of an hourly rate then the rates are generally reasonable although having said that there is a definate threshold of what I am prepared to pay.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (Richard Johnson @ 28 Jul 2008, 15:15) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>*** Absolutely: Modellers are always reluctant to have a go for fear of making a mistake, and they shouldn't think that way!

I do the work as a service when others don't want to but I really do love and prefer it when I can show someone how to do it themselves - learning is all part of the hobby and many modellers miss out on so much thats enjoyable through fear of failure, which is a real shame.

I think that teaching others is also a responsibility for all of us really... after all, whilst I do try to be creative and make my own path in many areas, much of my own core knowledge of the basics came to me "freely given by others" over the years, so I in turn it should be passed on so its not ever lost....

Richard
Would you still provide your UK sounds for DIY instals? I have quite a few to convert still and if it's cheaper would be happy to get some practice in.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (Richard Johnson @ 28 Jul 2008, 16:30) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>***I'll provide pre-programmed decoders, yes - but not the sound files by themselves.

Richard
That's fair enough and completely understandable. I'm looking for things I can do in the house now as it's getting very cold outside. Converting my backlog of stealth locos seems to be one thing I can do.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts