Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am seriously thinking about getting a SPROG II and decoderPro to allow me to manipulate decoders.

I am a little confused though, as the instructions for both of these seem to mention that you have to connect up to the main DCC controller, which in my case at the moment is a Hornby Select - which you can not connect to!

I can't really see why you need to connect to the main DCC controller just to manipulate the decoder CV's. The hornby select doesn't let you do much with respect to programming decoders, and as I want to experiment with decoders other than hornby's own, I though the SPROG II and decoderPro would be a good cheap solution.

Am I right in thinking this setup can be used with a programming track and not connecting to the main DCC controller just for decoder manipulation?

·
Registered
201 Posts
all you need is a spare plug socket and a length of track to use the Sprog II. I got mine about 3 weeks ago and have manipulated all of the required CV's in all of my 25 locos it would take me a lot longer with my normal controller.

Although if you are only using the hornby decoders I would not bother because you can only change a few of the CVs.

If you are using the 'better' (Lenz Silver/Gold, TCS) decoders then a sprog is brilliant.

Plus it is so easy to use the program i picked it up in about 10 mins, and i'm useless on computers.

Alistair

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
This is getting silly!!

Regards

John

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
QUOTE This is getting silly!!

I guess you have never heard of the saying: "England and America are two countries separated by a common language"

Please remember that there are other people besides Brits that use this forum and have never heard the term "mains plug socket" used instead of a wall outlet.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Dennis David @ 28 Dec 2006, 18:24) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I guess you have never heard of the saying: "England and America are two countries separated by a common language"

Yes, I have & it was Winston Churchill who said it !

Well, if the North Americans did not keep messing about with English there would not be any confusion at all - if they don't like English as English then they are of course free to come up with their own language ! (TIC)

BTW - I personally am not a "Brit" - I'm English.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I thought it was George Bernard Shaw?

Anyways, back to the SPROG.... its a great device, and you don;t need a DCC controller (indeed, there is some thought as to using it AS a controller for a small layout)

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE Please remember that there are other people besides Brits that use this forum and have never heard the term "mains plug socket" used instead of a wall outlet

I'd have called it a power point. Oh and I am British, e.g. descended from the original inhabitants of Britain rather than from uninvited German immigrants.

As regards the Sprog and the Select, as no-one else has asked this so I guess I am going to have to, why would one person buy two items from opposite ends of the DCC spectrum? I wouldn't have thought anyone into programming would have touched the Select with a barge pole.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I don't believe that anyone has yet created a profile for the Hornby decoder for decoderPro, but it would make an interesting project for someone......

·
Registered
51 Posts
To answer the Q regarding why a SPROG and Select, well, I acquired a Select for £30 and thought I would have a play to see what it offers for the money.

I haven't decided on what serious DCC system to buy yet, and experimenting with the Select is in my view a worthwhile excercise to get up to speed with modern DCC.

Why a SPROG now? Why not? If I can get some non-hornby DCC decoders working with the Select, not only will the info benefit other users, but it will also help me experiment with decoders / settings / getting my fleet converted over to DCC prior to me deciding on a final system.

As the SPROG is only £40-50, this means I have only spent about £80 on control hardware to date, so no major costs for plenty of fun experimenting.

Thanks to those who have answered my question. I shall be getting a SPROG II now.

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
>Well, if the North Americans did not keep messing about with English
I've heard that US English is closer to Elizabethan (the first era, that is) than UK English which means they haven't been messing about with it nearly as much as the natives - Mr. Webster excepted of course

David
(fair haired (well a long time ago) and blue eyed, so maybe only been "off the mainland" for 1000 years or so).

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (dwb @ 29 Dec 2006, 10:31) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>>Well, if the North Americans did not keep messing about with English
I've heard that US English is closer to Elizabethan (the first era, that is) than UK English which means they haven't been messing about with it nearly as much as the natives - Mr. Webster excepted of course

David
(fair haired (well a long time ago) and blue eyed, so maybe only been "off the mainland" for 1000 years or so).
I believe that to be true (not the fair haired part). American English contains many expressions which died out a long time ago in England.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts