Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am seriously thinking about getting a SPROG II and decoderPro to allow me to manipulate decoders.

I am a little confused though, as the instructions for both of these seem to mention that you have to connect up to the main DCC controller, which in my case at the moment is a Hornby Select - which you can not connect to!

I can't really see why you need to connect to the main DCC controller just to manipulate the decoder CV's. The hornby select doesn't let you do much with respect to programming decoders, and as I want to experiment with decoders other than hornby's own, I though the SPROG II and decoderPro would be a good cheap solution.

Am I right in thinking this setup can be used with a programming track and not connecting to the main DCC controller just for decoder manipulation?

·
Registered
51 Posts
To answer the Q regarding why a SPROG and Select, well, I acquired a Select for £30 and thought I would have a play to see what it offers for the money.

I haven't decided on what serious DCC system to buy yet, and experimenting with the Select is in my view a worthwhile excercise to get up to speed with modern DCC.

Why a SPROG now? Why not? If I can get some non-hornby DCC decoders working with the Select, not only will the info benefit other users, but it will also help me experiment with decoders / settings / getting my fleet converted over to DCC prior to me deciding on a final system.

As the SPROG is only £40-50, this means I have only spent about £80 on control hardware to date, so no major costs for plenty of fun experimenting.

Thanks to those who have answered my question. I shall be getting a SPROG II now.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Andrew,
I think you have just answered the problem I was having understanding the DecoderPro description. It is the bit you just quoted about DecoderPro needing to be connected to a Command station - I didn't realise that this meant the SPROG, I thought it meant it needed to be connected to the main DCC unit as well as the SPROG!

I don't think there is anything you need to change on the SPROG documentation, but I will revisit to check that now I realise what the DecoderPro documentation was on about!

I shall be placing my order for a USB SPROG II shortly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.