Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Swingcats, there are a number of different types - a time period would help on this one.

Regards

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 19 Feb 2008, 17:07) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Swingcats, there are a number of different types - a time period would help on this one.

Regards

ok my layout is circa 1940 as my GWR are GWR logos not button. I only have the Farish SR Tank at present with mixed goods rolling stock and three green coaches of unknown vintage.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The standard 4-wheel SR brake van is not available RTR, but Peco do a kit version of their brake van with SR-style add-on parts which gives an approximate representation. Alternatively BH Enterprises do a brass kit (actually more than one version) of the standard 4 wheel type which can be mounted on a Peco or Minitrix brake van chassis (the old Minitrix BR brake van is more accurate than the Peco one, but not as good as the new Farish, but the deep solebars look more like the SR type than the Peco.). The Southern also had a bogie brake van which is available from the N Gauge Society (to members only) in a fairly complex brass kit form.
If you want something quick and easy, there is an SR brake van in the Farish range which is the ex-LBSCR type. Not as common as the standard SR version, but a reasonable and accurate model. I can't find it on the Hattons website, so it might be discontinued but should be possible to find second hand. The model below on ebay is the model, but in BR livery.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/N-Gauge-Brown-Brake-...1QQcmdZViewItem

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (bernardTPM @ 22 Feb 2008, 09:35) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The standard 4-wheel SR brake van is not available RTR, but Peco do a kit version of their brake van with SR-style add-on parts which gives an approximate representation. Alternatively BH Enterprises do a brass kit (actually more than one version) of the standard 4 wheel type which can be mounted on a Peco or Minitrix brake van chassis (the old Minitrix BR brake van is more accurate than the Peco one, but not as good as the new Farish, but the deep solebars look more like the SR type than the Peco.). The Southern also had a bogie brake van which is available from the N Gauge Society (to members only) in a fairly complex brass kit form.
If you want something quick and easy, there is an SR brake van in the Farish range which is the ex-LBSCR type. Not as common as the standard SR version, but a reasonable and accurate model. I can't find it on the Hattons website, so it might be discontinued but should be possible to find second hand. The model below on ebay is the model, but in BR livery.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/N-Gauge-Brown-Brake-...1QQcmdZViewItem

Cheers for the info, I missed a recent ebay SR ex LBSCR one which was most fustrating it went for a snip. I'll get a BR one and repaint and also get a kit one sorted. many thanks

·
Registered
193 Posts
Dear All,

If you are looking for some details of the prototype, try the SR Brake Vans on the SEmG website. There are eight pages, covering 4 wheel vans, 6 wheel vans and the bogie type (known as Queen Mary). The last type has been well covered by Bachmann in 00 scale, in lots of different liveries, as they lasted through various SR, BR and TOC liveries, plus all the departmentals.

There is another good BR Wagon Photos website for prototype photos maintained by Paul Bartlett. This has various folders of SR Brake Vans. For example, check the SR Brake Vans.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts