Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
is asleep
758 Posts
Hello all,

(This is my first exhibition report so please excuse any rambling, poor or lacking photography and videos that come out perpendicularly!)

Today was the second 'Wochenende am Sevental' exhibition by the Swiss Railways Society, held at the Kidderminster Railway Museum at the Kidderminster station of the Severn Valley Railway. Present at the exhibition, which was not well publicised beyond the societies involved in my opinion, was:

Two complete H0 layouts, one a big Swiss mainline station and big bridge layout running modern image BLS, SBB, DB and FS, one 'Klein Planning' an Austrian secondary terminus with steam and early diesels, one narrow gauge layout featuring the Swiss Glacier Express etc. and two demonstration tracks/layouts with a wide range of gauges and stock running in H0, from Austrian electric narrow gauge to an Re460(?) pulling three ÖBB eurofimas!

The exhibition was open to the public for £1 or £1.50, I can't remember which, and it was free for SRS members. There were a selection of traders present: A huge range of DVDs featuring the Swiss railways was available, another stand had second hand rolling stock and a range of interesting vidoes (I picked up a brand new one for £2 on the Lago Maggiore Express that features the lake, Swiss narrow gauge from Locarno and the Cisalpino from Domodossola back into Italy with lots of delicious Alpine scenery).

Also there were NScaleCH that had a huge range of mainly Swiss N scale from collections, and Winco who had huge amounts of European H0 and some N (including the very new Roco eurofima coach releases I was after). At least three societies had stands with laptops showing videos, books, magazines, mugs etc. and they were the Swiss Railways Society, Austrian Railways Group and Italian Railways Society. Just the people I wanted to talk to!

I picked up some new Roco FS coaches and placed orders for some SBB ICN livery EW IV coaches as the few there had sold already:

I was there for about 2.5 hours during which the hall was really quite busy so obviously people did know about the show, although unless they were members of the SRS I don't know how! (Perhaps the SRS has more members that I thought...)

So without further waffling here are some pictures of a few of the layouts. I will upload the vidoes when I can be bothered to sign up with that google video hosting thing. My apolgies for the poor quality and general lack of pictures - this was the first time I've tried to take them and was rather put off by the idiot with the SLR who kept dancing around with the flash going off like a firework display and sticking his zoom lens into my ear in his eagerness to be rude. Normally I just like to watch the trains run and notice the detail and am quite happy to leave pictureless. However this would make the review boring!

The Swiss Glacier Express narrow gauge H0 layout, with beer garden like scene, good scenery and attention to catenary, excellent detail (but not in my pictures!) See videos when added.

The big modern Swiss H0 layout had some interesting features such as the famous bridge, the name I have forgotten (can someone help here?) Nice details like the maintenance work men, this layout had a full length ICE, Cisalpino, an SBB Pendelzug or two and a BLS pulled intermodal freight if I remember, and a TEE thing etc. Some of these were captured in my videos to be added.

My only picture of Klein Planning, Austrian steam on a terminus secondary line. I would have taken more but got talking to the creator/operator and forgot to take any! A kriegslok 52 was shuffling about along with some nice early Austrian diesels in green and some railcars. Something overran the buffers just like on the real railway which was fun to watch.

A real train that I spotted just before leaving, it was just being fed and watered before being attached to its train, to the delight of the many children no doubt.

Interestingly there were no N scale layouts - there was meant to be a big Austrian N one there of the Voralberg region which connects Austria to Switzerland so lots of nice EC trains roaring along...never mind. There's always another exhibition somewhere to go to in future!

I did keep an eye out for those grotesque nude figures engaged in lude activities but didn't spot any so their alleged propagation may not be as rampant as previously thought!

Videos to follow, as I have mentioned about ten times already...

·
is asleep
758 Posts
QUOTE (goedel @ 3 Nov 2007, 21:35) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Videos to follow, as I have mentioned about ten times already...
Finally signed up to that google video hosting website. The videos have come out better than the pictures fortunately!
Well they did on my computer, but google can't cope with 240 x 320 and has resized the first four to 320 x 240 (!) and so they look rather squashed to say the least. Sorry about that - next time I will make all the videos in landscape format...at least the SVR locomotive came out well.

You would think that a huge and allegedly clever and benign (how can it be both with humans involved?) organisation like google could cope with landscape and portrait formats, nope, they're yesterdays technology today. Forget Web 2.0, I want Web 3.0 beta.

The Glacier Express goes past:

BLS and SBB Cargo locomotives:

SBB Re 460 with InterCity train and Bt driving trailer:

The Cisalpino wafts past...

Severn Valley Railway locomotive backs onto train:

Enjoy!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Hi Goedel,

I'd considered going myself but it would have been a 2 hr trip each way, so thanks for the pics and videos. I noticed Fleischmann do Swiss versions of some of their models (eg rolling road) but that they only export these to Switzerland and not other countries. Do you know of any "suppliers" here in the UK? I find the Swiss grey to be more attractive than the EP4 brown of the DB.

thanks

Simon

·
is asleep
758 Posts
QUOTE (simonj @ 3 Nov 2007, 23:57) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'd considered going myself but it would have been a 2 hr trip each way, so thanks for the pics and videos. I noticed Fleischmann do Swiss versions of some of their models (eg rolling road) but that they only export these to Switzerland and not other countries. Do you know of any "suppliers" here in the UK? I find the Swiss grey to be more attractive than the EP4 brown of the DB.
Hello Simon,

Yes it was good, but perhaps not completely worth a two hour trip either way with no N scale layouts! Of course if you like the SVR then that could tip the balance for some distant enthusiasts.

Aha, the Fleischmann export models...hmmm. We had a discussion on this a while ago, I believe that Fleischmann do, for example, an Austrian ÖKOMBI/ÖBB version of the rolling road only for Austria, HUPAC only for Switzerland, and an FS version only for Italy in addition to the standard DB ones available everywhere. I had no choice but to get my ÖBB versions from a model shop in Austria.

However earlier this year Fleischmann made a song-and-dance about making either some (or all?) of the country-specific export models available to order from anywhere for a limited time (or indefinitely?). Neither of these things is clear to the best of my knowledge! Rest assured they will be expensive from anyone in the UK so I would think that trying Switzerland would be the best bet. There are shops that accept credit cards, such as Wemoba from whom I bought some Roco coaches earlier this year and I couldn't fault their service. There is a list of Swiss model shops on John Whitby's website that might be useful.

I did see a couple of Swiss rolling road wagons on the NScaleCH stand so you could try emailing them. Again I can recommend them having provided me with faultless service in the past too.

Annoyingly only the DB versions come with trucks (and rather dated Wiking(?) trucks at that) and I would recommend Herpa trucks if you want a loaded rolling road. Finding the trucks is another challenge! You could try N-Gauging I noticed have some, and Morris Models too. Hope some of this helps!

For reference here is the old thread.

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
QUOTE perhaps not completely worth a two hour trip either way with no N scale layouts!
That makes me feel a bit better about missing it as it would be a two and a half hour trip each way for us, even though we do like the SVR a lot.

Interesting comments about the Switzerland only models. I do keep looking on Modellbahn Kramm to see if the "export" stuff turns up, but no joy yet.

David

·
Registered
305 Posts
QUOTE (dwb @ 4 Nov 2007, 09:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>That makes me feel a bit better about missing it as it would be a two and a half hour trip each way for us, even though we do like the SVR a lot.

Interesting comments about the Switzerland only models. I do keep looking on Modellbahn Kramm to see if the "export" stuff turns up, but no joy yet.

David

They have the main part of the rolling road in stock 90 8270

I've found another shop which seems to stock most Swiss specials;

http://www.bahnorama.ch/

Never used them though.

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
Thanks ever so much for that Simon.
I must have missed them.

I feel a wallet weakening moment coming on.

David

·
Registered
305 Posts
QUOTE (dwb @ 4 Nov 2007, 18:00) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks ever so much for that Simon.
I must have missed them.

I feel a wallet weakening moment coming on.

David

No problem, I checked through my links and found this Swiss shop/site.

http://www.alpnacher.ch/

However I wonder why Fleischmann wouldn't just let you order them from a UK shop, I mean, they need all the sales they can at the moment.

·
Registered
312 Posts
The RhB layout looks like Maloja that was in Continental modeller again recently. If you are looking for Swiss models have you tried Winco in Winchester, I've always found Yvonne and Peter most helpful.
Thanks for taking the time to post the report and pictures.
Paul

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Nice set of photos, I love the huge bridge - I have built one it's a monster. Thanks for posting them.

Regards

·
Registered
14 Posts
The RhB was Maloja. The chap operating it had just bought it from it's previous owner and was still getting used to it.

I agree about Winco. I've had excellent service from them. I collected some Peco HOm flexi-track from them at the exhibition.

Dave R

·
Registered
305 Posts
QUOTE (Dave R @ 7 Nov 2007, 17:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The RhB was Maloja. The chap operating it had just bought it from it's previous owner and was still getting used to it.

I agree about Winco. I've had excellent service from them. I collected some Peco HOm flexi-track from them at the exhibition.

Dave R

I never imagined somebody would sell a layout they had built, what sort of price do they command? The Noch preformed layouts are a small fortune and thats before you add track and buildings.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (simonj @ 7 Nov 2007, 18:04) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I never imagined somebody would sell a layout they had built, what sort of price do they command? The Noch preformed layouts are a small fortune and thats before you add track and buildings.

We purchased St.Laurent from the original builder (Bill Roberts) who was about to dismantle it & salvage some of the parts for the next project. It had "run it's time" with him & was due for a makeover.

As Bill is personal friend & he was glad to see SL go to a good home (& receive a makeover) it changed hands for the value of the "salvageable" bits.

At the end of the day a layout (as is anything) is worth, in monetry terms what someone is prepared to pay for it.

Generally, though, you will never get the cost of the materials back, let alone anything for your time when you sell a layout, after all we are following a hobby.

·
Registered
312 Posts
QUOTE (simonj @ 7 Nov 2007, 18:04) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I never imagined somebody would sell a layout they had built, what sort of price do they command? The Noch preformed layouts are a small fortune and thats before you add track and buildings.
I suppose it depends on how famous or good it is and how much you'd want to pay for it. I've sold two layouts on to be re-vamped and sold them purely for the cost of the salvageable bits. My present Swiss layout also uses the buildings and catenary masts off a friends layout which he was getting rid of and I swapped them for some track for his LGB layout.
I know David Yules Disentis was offered for several thousand pounds a few years ago but it was a museum quality model of a real location.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts