Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can any one help me I'm building the DJH 2-6-4 and I want to finish it as 80072 of the Langollen Railway I have the Fox decal pack for the mixed traffic livery but I'm stuck as to know which BR Motif to put on it the Lion & Crown or the Lion & Wheel ?

Please someone help me out.

Peter

·
Registered
763 Posts
Hmm I can see your problem. A quick google search reveals a loco with numbers but no crests. Maybe you could email the relevant preservation group for information about their plans.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
First introducted in 1951, 80072 is about 1/2 way throught the class so either motif would pass. It must have spent most of it's working life with the late emblem if it had an overhaul and paint sometime after 1956/7.
There must be a book about the class somewhere.

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
According to "British Railways Locomotives 1955" by Chris Banks, 80072 is listed as allocated to 33B (Tilbury). Locomotives delivered during 1955 were 80058 (from Derby) and 22 from Brighton in the number range 80099 to 80130. From this information I believe that you can safely run use either crest. It's your choice which period you are modelling.

David

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Further to the above posting, I've checked the website. There are two pictures, neither of which show the crest! And that part of the website has not been updated since 2001, when the loco was then under restoration. It is not on their currently available list either. I've e-mailed their web-master asking for an update and asking which crest it has.

Regards,
John Webb

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
The loco worked Central Wales from 1962 onwards so the late logo would be the authentic one to use.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Further to the previous postings, the loco restoration team have their own web-site
www.80072.co.uk
with more up-to-date information. It seems likely that the loco will be running soon.
Regards,
John Webb

·
Registered
122 Posts
I was born quite close to the LT&SR and from what I remember of them and quite certain, these locos had the lion and wheel, but please don't quote me on this as I wouldn't like to misinform you. I know I spent many a day down at the station when off school as I was from an early age, train mad.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts