Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During WW2 27 Stanier 8Fs were exported to Iraq, but only 20 arrived. The other 7 were lost due to enemy action. One ship, the Thistlegorm was sunk in the Red Sea and has become a regular dive site.

For those wishing to see photographic evidence of this event please see: Sunken 8F

The curve of the footplate valence, the shape of the cylinders and the front framing above the running plate are unmistakably that of an 8F. I find myself wondering if there are any salvagable bits down there besides the tender appearing in another photo on this site.

Colombo

·
Registered
521 Posts
Amazed at the decent condition after 60 odd years immersed in salt water!
I'm sure we've all seen rougher looking machinery that has allegedly been well maintained on dry land

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Further information.

The one on the Thistlegorm was being exported to Egypt. The ship was sunk by a pair of HE111s flying from Crete raiding shipping. They could not find their target but happened to find the Thistlegorm instead: result two 1000 lbs bombs amidships. The Thistlegorm wreck was discovered in 1993 and is regarded as one of the best dive sites in the world.

Seven more 8Fs were lost on their way to Turkey.

The Jessmore was lost when the ship collided with another vessel, Baron Pentland in the Atlantic, 19/2/41. Three 8Fs were on board.

The Berhala was carrying four 8Fs when the ship was torpedoed near Freetown, 23/5/41.

Colombo

·
Paul Hamilton aka "Lancashire Fusilier"
844 Posts
QUOTE (DS239 @ 23 May 2006, 03:28) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hmmmm....If I kept tropical fish I could re-create that scene in 4mm with a hacked about Hornby body

I love it!! Imagine that, a fish tank model underwater, a little bit static with the only thing moving being the sealife. Could you imagine the faces at the local club when you walk in a set up your display and they all look at you and so you turn around and say"What?"

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE I love it!! Imagine that, a fish tank model underwater, a little bit static with the only thing moving being the sealife. Could you imagine the faces at the local club when you walk in a set up your display and they all look at you and so you turn around and say"What?"

There's a gap in the market! Who will be the first to make an amphibious loco?

You could have a Hornby Atlantis freight set!!

·
Registered
303 Posts
I just have found this page with a picture of a tender sitting on the deck of the Thistlegorm. It looks intact to me and probably belongs to the 8F.

Tender.

There is allegedly a second loco on the Thistlegorm, it could be an 0-6-0T. These scuba divers love to publish their photos and so I am hopefull of finding confirmation.

Colombo

·
Registered
303 Posts
This shipwreck, Thistlegorm, is an extremely popular dive site and it has been visited by lots of people of all nationalities. They have taken a lot of photos and videos of the wreck. I have had a look at this published material and I have come to the conclusion that both locos were in fact 8Fs. The 0-6-0T was a red herring. I do not expect scuba divers to be able to identify locomotives from the bits left after an explosion 60 years ago (but the red herring should have been obvious to them...joke?)

8F front end

They were standing on the deck on each side of the hatch leading to the hold where the munitions were stored. The two bombs hit amidships and the contents of this hold exploded. The force of the explosion tore the stern off the ship and peeled off the deck like a sardine tin. It hit the boilers of each locomotive with great force and in each case the boiler sheared off from the smokebox and the heavy front ends, with the cylinder castings and the front of the frames with the pony trick and the leading driving wheels were just tipped off the deck, whilst the boiler, firebox, the frames with three rear driving axles and cab were thrown away from the ship by the greater force hitting them. The boilers have not been located yet because they were thrown really well away from the ship. This is born out by one eye witness account of the sinking reporting seeing a locomotive sailing through the air towards him trailing sparks.

Sketches indicate two tenders still standing on the deck forward of amidships and probably relatively undamaged.

This has been a very interesting investigation and has filled up a wet afternoon when I should have been modelling or writing up the minutes of the village Neighbourhood Watch AGM.

Colombo

·
Registered
213 Posts
QUOTE (Lancashire Fusilier @ 24 May 2006, 07:44) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I love it!! Imagine that, a fish tank model underwater, a little bit static with the only thing moving being the sealife. Could you imagine the faces at the local club when you walk in a set up your display and they all look at you and so you turn around and say"What?"

Exactly!,-an 'alternative' version of a minimum space layout,-now, I wonder-what's the best way to reproduce barnacles in 4mm scale

..and to second Lancashire Fusilier..Nice work Columbo!

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
QUOTE (Saint Johnstoun @ 24 Jul 2008, 21:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I've converted two of the latest Hornby 8Fs to WD and Turkish spec. - has anybody else tried it?

That I would love to see.

The 8F , 45150 series loco's is the only link missing in my TCDD steam collection that being in OO scale.

Baykal

·
Registered
91 Posts
QUOTE (ebaykal @ 25 Jul 2008, 08:58) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>That I would love to see.

The 8F , 45150 series loco's is the only link missing in my TCDD steam collection that being in OO scale.

Baykal
if you need some footage or pics of the turkish 8f, i came across a vid of one in service on the net if you want the link

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
QUOTE (steamrailuk @ 25 Jul 2008, 08:42) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>if you need some footage or pics of the turkish 8f, i came across a vid of one in service on the net if you want the link

I would like to see the link. Most of all I would like to see pictures ofyour Hornby 8F conversion to TCDD.

Here is one at Camlik Museum:

Baykal

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
QUOTE (steamrailuk @ 25 Jul 2008, 16:46) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i dont have a turkish 8F "Churchill" but heres the link for the video turkish 8f

Thanks for the link and sorry ıt was meant to be to Saint Johnstoun's thread.

Baykal

·
Registered
91 Posts
QUOTE (Saint Johnstoun @ 25 Jul 2008, 20:43) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'll get some pics and post them shortly. If you look in my gallery there is the WD oil fired version.
saw that earlier but i never noticed it was an oil fired 8F. were there many 8F's fueled by oil?

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
QUOTE (steamrailuk @ 25 Jul 2008, 19:52) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>saw that earlier but i never noticed it was an oil fired 8F. were there many 8F's fueled by oil?
Here are the pics of my Turkish 8F.

The WD 8Fs were designed to operate on coal or oil. Those sent to Iran were oil burners. There are a number of good books which give the full story - if you need a booklist ask and I will provide. View attachment 544

1 - 20 of 76 Posts