Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you all know the Stanier 8F's were extensively used throughout Turkey by TCDD and its model is the missing link in my steam collection.

I know the Hornby one, just wondering, does Bachmann, Dapol...etc have a model of it?

Guess being OO would create a problem in my HO steam cattle, but I can live with it.

Cheers
Baykal

·
Registered
303 Posts
Baykal,

We just have the Hornby 8F and that is available in 4 m.m. scale. If you wanted some HO scale British locos there were a few made in the past, notably a Royal Scot, but no 8Fs.

Colombo

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (Colombo @ 11 Oct 2007, 16:59) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>We just have the Hornby 8F and that is available in 4 m.m. scale.

I have often wondered why the 8F has never been produced by one of the European manufacturers, especially as it operated all over Europe and the middle east from the mid 40's and indeed many continued to run well into the seventies.

Regards

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
You could ask the same question of WD 2-8-0s and 2-10-0s as well as USATC 2-8-0s. Somebody did make a version of the USATC 0-6-0T, who was that? But then if you are thinking of war engines, Dean Goods fought in both wars in Europe (and further), GW 2-6-0s went abroad as well as some Scottish 0-6-0s such as "Maude"....

Loads of choice.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (60134 @ 12 Oct 2007, 13:40) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Somebody did make a version of the USATC 0-6-0T, who was that?

That was Hornby Acho - they are hard too come by - I know I want one!

Regards

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 12 Oct 2007, 14:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>That was Hornby Acho - they are hard too come by - I know I want one!

Regards

Whatever you do don't get a mint boxed one, change the couplings & run it - Gary won't like it !

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (dbclass50 @ 12 Oct 2007, 14:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Whatever you do don't get a mint boxed one, change the couplings & run it - Gary won't like it !

As the Acho one has an original bunker it will involve more than just changing the couplings to re-create thr SR version.

Regards

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE (alastairq @ 12 Oct 2007, 18:52) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>opportunity to scratchbuild,perhaps?

or...kitbash?

...just a good job for Pedromorgan then

Baykal

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
referring to my post re-ettched kits....a lot of etched kits available to minority scales, like, 3mm, S scale, etc are simply etches from a major scale, reduced or increased in size.

I think one disadvantage that a manufacturer might consider is the 'plain-jane' appearance of most UK prototype steam engines.

compared to the products from Germany and France, full of plumbing and other sundry detail that makes the model so ''attractive?''

Plain appearance is a distinct hallmark of a UK prototype design......will that 'appeal' to the continental buyer?

·
Registered
763 Posts
The current Hornby 8F is one of the earlier of Hornby's high spec steam engines, and has been out for about 6-7 years. While it may not be quite as outstanding as the very latest releases like the Arthur and the Gresley Pacifics, it's still reckoned to be a good model with a decent loco drive mechanism.

That being the case, you should avoid secondhand examples of the older Hornby 8F , which it replaced, which was a more basic effort with a pancake motor tender drive

I doubt if an HO 8F , or indeed any British locos in HO would be of interest to Continental buyers, who are naturally intrerested in Continental subjects. The 8Fs never ran in Germany, never ran in Switzerland, never ran in Austria, never ran in France , never ran in Spain. That pretty well eliminates nearly all the main markets for Continental HO

·
Registered
233 Posts
There have been at least two steam locos available over the years as multi-media kits in HO. The USATC dock tank and the Riddles 2-8-0, the British HO Society should be able to provide the origins of these kits.

The Royal Scot was a hybrid Rivarossi product, neither HO nor 4mm, it hovered around the 1:82nd.

Alternatively, if you wish to 'have a go' try an old HD 2-8-0, a battered version will be cheap enough and has a loco mounted motor.

Surely Derya's list of suitable TCDD loks should keep you busy for the next few months?

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi 72C,

QUOTE (72C @ 13 Oct 2007, 20:29) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>....Surely Derya's list of suitable TCDD loks should keep you busy for the next few months?

So you have seen his lok's then..Brilliant isn't it?

For those interested just have a peak:

http://www.ferendeci.com/trains/

Baykal

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (alastairq @ 12 Oct 2007, 19:52) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>No 8F in HO?

opportunity to scratchbuild,perhaps?

or...kitbash?

Just been thinking, I suppose the old Triang Princess would make a possible starting point, but which German 2-8-0 chassis would be most appropriate?

Regards

·
Registered
233 Posts
H

Rather than wonder what to use, why not look at the British HO Society's website. Apart from the ROD 2-8-0, also used in the middle East, they offer a Black Five. This would provide boiler, cab and tender but I am guessing that this is beyond most of you?

No German 2-8-0 is sutable unless you can build a good tender drive for the Stanier tender as the BR56 has an assymetric wheelbase.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts