Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the first time since I was a youngster I have decided to build a proper layout and put my skills to the test. I did decied to do a n gauge layout, u shaped, with a tail chaser, L shaped, plus provision for a branch teminus on the other part of the U as a second phase. I got as far as constructing the base boards which are 10ft, by 6ft, with the width of the U share being 2ft (max possible within space limitations ie wife). THen my son arrived, and everything has been on hold since. It occurs to me now that a OO gauge set up would be better for him to play with, unfortunately the boards will not allow a tail chaser, and a branch terminus with goods yard is probably the best option. However, for a boy a tail chaser would probably be better. So the question is should I go with the original plan or not? I doubt I will have time or space to build 2, although I guess I could build a small oval for him to cut his teeth of using my old horney stuff with I was a kid, until hes ready to play with the n gauge stuff any views???

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
I have young boy who is almost two and you really need to keep hold of him when you are showing him the trains. He loves them but he wants to get inter active and play with them and when you're talking about trains that costs 100 of pounds you can't afford to let him near at this age.

I would have a loop or oval so you can let the trains run unattended as you will be holding a wriglling kid who is fighting to jump onto your layout. I usually have two or three running round and when is he more settled I can do some sound effects from the controller but doing shunting stuff with a kid under four is a bit unrealistic. Other kids may be different but this is my experience.

The other issue I have is he keeps trying to grab hold of the controller. You might want to hide that.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Hi keekster64
Welcome to the forum You'll find plenty of suitable advise here for whatever you need to know.
Perhaps a trip to your local model shop is needed and there purchase a "Track Plans" book or two?
Hornby produce one and Peco do too.
Then comes the choice of track. Will you be using set track - Hornby or Peco styles for example or perhaps taking the plung and go for the slightly better option of Peco Steamline flexible track system and points etc?? But it doesn't stop there! Should you then chose "00" code 100 track system or code 75?? Code 100 would allow older rolling stock to run without any problems but code 75 while looking nicer may cause older stock to run poorly due to the flanges hitting the rail chairs. There are of course many other manufactures of "00" track systems. but the main two criteria are price and availability for a beginner.

Certainly you should be able to fit a "00" layout onto the boards size you have stated. (10X 6) With some scenic work undertaken later on the layout will look good, once all the tracks are down and wired etc
Good luck

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for he tips. I suspect a simple oval for my boy will do when the time comes, and I should press ahead with my n gauge layout for the longer time seems the best bet. I plan to use peco track, but not the finescale, so I can use old and new locos on it. Thanks again. I'll plenty of further questions to ask I'm sure!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts