Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Both types certainly have potential for a fun micro layout - 2 foot plank anyone?

Regards

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
funny you should hilite those italian shunting tractors, Doug.....especially as I bought, quite a while ago, the remains of an unpowered brass kit which I DISCOVERED TO BE SIMILAR TO ONE IN A MUSEUM....WHY am I shouting?

I have a smallish plastic pot...which USED to contain Lion brand Arrowroot cooking stuff.....in this pot I have an HO diesel [or gas/mechanical?] boxcab loco by Grandt Line.

I bough, and built this lil loco probably 15 or 20 years ago....certainly when I was 'in' to US stuff, anyway.........couod be had in HOn3 as well.

very small vertical motor, reduction geared to one axle, then gear drive to the other.....quite heavy too.

What amazed me at the time, and still does, was the incredibly fine plastic casting from Grandt Line.........almost to scale thickness.

Although HO, it has very small Kadee couplers which, incredibly, couple nicely to Kadee #5's....even tho' about half their size?

to give folk an idea of its size, this boxcab loco will fit, exactly, on the small length of track that Peco small radius points have, beyond the crossing vee.

gosh, those plastic steps are as fine as hair.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Nice little tractor locos and must keep my eyes out for one or just save my pocket money and get one from Italia.

The models do look very detailed and great fun

It would suit me at the moment as my layout is either stored in boxes or limited to the odd play on the floor to test the locos I like fixing which is what my hobby now entails. It is a case of collecting and fixing bits and bobs which will be used eventually on a layout (in a room yet to be constructed)

We do what we can ! I do find the collecting, tinkering great fun and I am ending up with maybe a few frankenstein style locos (which are still great fun for my seven year old daughter)

Basil

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Another good "baby" is the kof shunter as made by Roco etc. and for those of a UK bent Balfour Beatty rail have a couple over here - so no excuses!

Regards

1 - 7 of 7 Posts