Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to embark on the landscaping of a large area of grassland on my layout and I would like to make a good job of it. Amongst my collection of materials I have a couple of bags of Noch static grass flock. I have looked on the Noch web site and I see that the recommended method of application is to use their own special puffer bottle, which I neglected to buy when I picked up the grass. My first attem,pt, without the benefit of the bottle has failed to impress.

Now I know that Flotex carpets are made using electrostatics to plant each individual nylon fibre end-on into a layer of adhesive on the carpet backing. The electrostatic charges on the fibres are generated when they are blown through nozzles as they rub on the inside of the nozzle, they then have a positive charge at one end and a negative charge at the other. The fibres have a split second to turn end-on to the carpet backing and which ever end is attracted is planted firmly into the adhesive which is then cured, and you have the typical hard wearing Flotex carpet that just needs clipping and dyeing to make a saleable product.

So I presume that Noch static grass utilises this process to create a grassy sward, or meadow or whatever.

Looking at the Noch web site, and seeing the remarkable results achieved, I also see that you should use a special puffer bottle. To mail order this item would be expensive and potentially any old squeezy plastic bottle might do the job with suitable modifications. If anybody has got a Noch Puffer bottle, could you tell me how many holes there are in the cap, of what diameter these are and how long the hole(s) is/(are)?

Also are you pleased with the results? Which type of static grass did you use?

Colombo

·
Registered
36 Posts
Columbo:

I checked into the puffer bottle a few months back. Check the following web link, you will be impressed.

Using the Noch Puffer Bottle

I think Faller also sell a similar puffer bottle. Like you my first attempt with the static grass was disappointing.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bought the Noch Puffer Bottle and I have tried it out. The result is a very realistic grass, all the blades standing on end, but a bit uniform in appearance. I now need to find some additional colours of grass and experiment with various mixtures.

Colombo

·
Registered
36 Posts
A few questions.

1. Did you use neat pva glue or watered down.
2. How many layers did you have to apply before all the bare spots were covered with grass.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Kal,

I used neat PVA and I only applied one layer. It helps to colour the plaster layer on the plaster bandage. I used some black powder paint.

I am going to try and find some pale hay coloured fibres to add to my green to see if I can get a more realistic appearance. What I have produced so far would be great for a 16mm or 7mm scale lawn, but it is a bit too coarse to represent a green field in 4mm scale. Alternatively, dry brushing the long ends with very pale white/brown seems to help.

Colombo

1 - 6 of 6 Posts