Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

First post, here goes...

I currently have the Lenz Compact (though I'm thinking of getting the Set 90) and my friend is on analogue. I asked him why he doesn't want to give DCC a go, and he says its quite hard to get the bodies off and they are round etc...Is this the case (I wouldn't know because I'm modern image)?

Thanks,
George

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
There is less room in steam locomotives but beyond that I don't see why they would be any harder than diesel. What scale are you working with? I find that unless they have tenders I'll leave it to the manufacturer to provide a model with decoder. Otherwise I either do it myself if it has the socket or send it to Tony's Train Exchange and let them deal with it. In fact I'll be sending them another half dozen to get chipped. These are all N-Scale by the way.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Indeed it is quite easy in 4mm/ft, I fitted a sound decoder in a Hornby J94 (without having to fill the cab with gadgets) a while back, despite being told there was no room for any decoder in it!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Having read Doug's guide on fitting a chip to the Flying Scotsman, and looking at comments in the last week on the Ivatt Class 4 set up elsewhere on the web, I was wondering if HO steam modellers have similar problems with the fitting of decoders? Has anyone posted photos of chips in steam models and if so are the arrangements more user friendly than those used by Hornby and Bachmann?

I strongly feel that DCC ready is a phrase which should not be lightly used, especially if it means dismantling the model with the risk of damage to fragile parts.

Any photographic evidence that these HO steam designs do not require significant dismantling would be appreciated!

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Chatting to the top man at Peco's publishing arm whilst at the Warley show he showed me a sneeky preview of the new Peco N gauge GWR Collett loco. Only certain visitors were allowed to look and no photography permitted!

The production and design team for this model did not know that it had been removed from their offices by those next door in the publishing department. (so would anybody reading this please keep lips sealed!
)

Peco have a British first under their belt as they will be the first company to sell a loco with chip fitted as standard.

The cost of fitting a chip as standard was a money saving excercise as Peco felt that that the returns that they would suffer as a result of letting owners loose on this aspect and the costs of this would far outweight the small extra cost of fitting a chip as standard to all models. They feel that DCC will be big over the next few years and so are doing this in anticipation.

This is the first of what appears to be a new range of N gauge locomotives from Peco based on what was said so expect further news next year.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
205 Posts
QUOTE (Gary @ 7 Dec 2005, 14:43)This is the first of what appears to be a new range of N gauge locomotives from Peco based on what was said so expect further news next year.

Didn't they say the same thing when the jubilee or whatever it was came out?

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
The Jubilee was based on tools that required the co-operation of Rivarossi. The new Peco tools are entirely British and in house.

Happy modelling
Gary

1 - 10 of 10 Posts