Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everybody.

I have a space 14ft x 2' 6" into which I would like to build a terminus in OO gauge. No need for fiddle yards or anything like that as the lead in tracks will come from elsewhere on the layout.I must have looked at hundreds of plans but no one plan has hit me as "I want to build that"

Any suggestion gratefully received.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (Robert Stokes @ 17 Jun 2008, 13:17) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Are there any fixed criteria?

Must it be single track branch or double track terminus?

Must it be country setting spread out or urban crowded?

Hi Robert.

Mainline. LMS,Midland,LNER even GWR. Steam era with Long platforms,Loco Shed & Goods depot/Creamery etc.

Here is a link to photos of my railway room.There is a C J Freezer plan there which I have followed with slight alterations. I was going to build the terminus in the plan but was looking for imput before continuing.

http://s285.photobucket.com/albums/ll68/tony-daly/

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (TonyDaly @ 17 Jun 2008, 22:31) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Robert.

Mainline. LMS,Midland,LNER even GWR. Steam era with Long platforms,Loco Shed & Goods depot/Creamery etc.

Here is a link to photos of my railway room.There is a C J Freezer plan there which I have followed with slight alterations. I was going to build the terminus in the plan but was looking for imput before continuing.

http://s285.photobucket.com/albums/ll68/tony-daly/

***Hi Tony - building a derivative of that plan with a more relaxed throat area spread over a few feet and longer platforms would do pretty well as a terminus with lots of operating interest I'd think - another thought is Bath Green - a classic terminus with most of what you want - there's even a really superb but wee bit exxy brass station roof kit for Bath Green station made by Alan Gibson

Richard

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (Richard Johnson @ 17 Jun 2008, 15:08) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>***Hi Tony - building a derivative of that plan with a more relaxed throat area spread over a few feet and longer platforms would do pretty well as a terminus with lots of operating interest I'd think - another thought is Bath Green - a classic terminus with most of what you want - there's even a really superb but wee bit exxy brass station roof kit for Bath Green station made by Alan Gibson

Richard

Hi Richard.

I've seen Bath Green Park. A superb layout. I didn't know Alan Gibson make the roof girders.The plan I have would be very good with a little alteration. I just wanted to pick other peoples brains before commiting myself to the final design.

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
The ex GNR Leeds Central would probably fit. I had been wondering about it and then Hornby magazine offered a couple of variations on how to do it in small to large spaces a few issues back. You don't get the loco shed, that's about a mile down the line at Copley Hill but there is a goods yard within the 2' 6" and if you can squeeze it in, another goods yard on the other side.

Since the whole station is literally "up in the air" it was genuinely constricted in width. From a reprinted OS map I have from the turn of the last century I think about 34" (over your 30, which happens to be my limit too) is the max width. The station is long since demolished but there are a lot of photos and at least two paintings of Yorkshire Pullmans leaving for Kings Cross.

This is a project I would like to pursue myself in the longer term.

David

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (dwb @ 17 Jun 2008, 17:30) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The ex GNR Leeds Central would probably fit. I had been wondering about it and then Hornby magazine offered a couple of variations on how to do it in small to large spaces a few issues back. You don't get the loco shed, that's about a mile down the line at Copley Hill but there is a goods yard within the 2' 6" and if you can squeeze it in, another goods yard on the other side.

Since the whole station is literally "up in the air" it was genuinely constricted in width. From a reprinted OS map I have from the turn of the last century I think about 34" (over your 30, which happens to be my limit too) is the max width. The station is long since demolished but there are a lot of photos and at least two paintings of Yorkshire Pullmans leaving for Kings Cross.

This is a project I would like to pursue myself in the longer term.

David

Hi David.

Do you know which Hornby magazine number it was in & do you have a scan of it ?

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
seeing as you have already utilised a C.J.Freezer plan for the 'main' layout, why not make use of his classic terminus design,MINORIES?

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
QUOTE Hi David.

Do you know which Hornby magazine number it was in & do you have a scan of it ?

According to the index in issue 12, it's in issue 10 (that's 3 before the current one which is number 13). The article is "Eastern Region".

I regret to say that I don't have a scan, nor the means to get one. You can get most back issues from Ian Allen I think. Check out the Hornby Magazine Forums which have their own banner at the top left of the front page, if you see what I mean?

David

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE (dwb @ 18 Jun 2008, 22:11) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>According to the index in issue 12, it's in issue 10 (that's 3 before the current one which is number 13). The article is "Eastern Region".

I regret to say that I don't have a scan, nor the means to get one. You can get most back issues from Ian Allen I think. Check out the Hornby Magazine Forums which have their own banner at the top left of the front page, if you see what I mean?

David

Thanks David.

Found it.You were right Issue No 10.

Regards.

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Hi Tony,

The layout looks good, i would like my layout to have a second level as your where the tracks run over each other,what do you plan where the upper tracks are down to the baseboard in the way of scenic work to make it look realstic but giving the elevation ....... i too need some ideas how to hide the supports to the upper track at the same time to make it look acceptable to the eye.
Any input would be gratefully recieved.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE (upnick @ 18 Jun 2008, 23:35) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Tony,

The layout looks good, i would like my layout to have a second level as your where the tracks run over each other,what do you plan where the upper tracks are down to the baseboard in the way of scenic work to make it look realstic but giving the elevation ....... i too need some ideas how to hide the supports to the upper track at the same time to make it look acceptable to the eye.
Any input would be gratefully recieved.

Hello.
If the lower tracks are on baseboard level a retaining wall could be used. You could then add lineside features around the lower tracks.
If the lower tracks are going up to meet the upper tracks a grass bank or rocks could be used. I plan to use lengths of chicken wire covered with plaster bandage. I will then either stick on some pre coloured teddy bear fur or else coat with Polly filler mixed with pva glue, water & poster colour or emulsion. When dry this can be covered with flock powder, bushes etc.
Now I bet your sorry you asked.lol

·
Registered
13 Posts
Leeds Central sounds a good idea!! If u want some ideas I would suggest goining to Gainsborough Model Railway as their Leeds central is pretty niceley done bit big like but we were running 7 coach trains in 0 gauge lol ill see if I can find any pics of it for you m8

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE (7 1/4 Nick @ 19 Jun 2008, 09:55) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Leeds Central sounds a good idea!! If u want some ideas I would suggest goining to Gainsborough Model Railway as their Leeds central is pretty niceley done bit big like but we were running 7 coach trains in 0 gauge lol ill see if I can find any pics of it for you m8

Hi Nick

I live in Southern Ireland so my chances of seeing much are limited. If you can post photos,that would be great.

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
There is a reasonable amount of information about Leeds Central "knocking about" on the web. Searching on "Leeds Central Viaduct" had this site pretty near the top.

A reasonable "portion" of the old viaduct still exists and there are quite a few photos of it, particularly on Flick'r.

The railway lines around Leeds are complex and it took me a lot of study to work out what was what and what went where.

The Leeds library also some old B&W photos available on line. These include the front of the station and the station concourse.

David

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
QUOTE (TonyDaly @ 19 Jun 2008, 08:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hello.
If the lower tracks are on baseboard level a retaining wall could be used. You could then add lineside features around the lower tracks.
If the lower tracks are going up to meet the upper tracks a grass bank or rocks could be used. I plan to use lengths of chicken wire covered with plaster bandage. I will then either stick on some pre coloured teddy bear fur or else coat with Polly filler mixed with pva glue, water & poster colour or emulsion. When dry this can be covered with flock powder, bushes etc.
Now I bet your sorry you asked.lol

given me ideas Tony need to work out my retaining walls in plaster and what area they would cover
and find the rubber rock moulds ...... a large 3 road engine shed constructed from three ratio shed kits is possibly in the pipeline did one the other year came out very well.
Just need to clear my board of locos mid dcc'ing and i can make a start on the second level planning

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
QUOTE (upnick @ 19 Jun 2008, 19:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
given me ideas Tony need to work out my retaining walls in plaster and what area they would cover
and find the rubber rock moulds ...... a large 3 road engine shed constructed from three ratio shed kits is possibly in the pipeline did one the other year came out very well.
Just need to clear my board of locos mid dcc'ing and i can make a start on the second level planning

Hello.

You may find some rock moulds & retaining walls here.

www.internationalmodels.net

If nothing else you might get ideas.

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
QUOTE (TonyDaly @ 25 Jun 2008, 12:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hello.

You may find some rock moulds & retaining walls here.

www.internationalmodels.net

If nothing else you might get ideas.

Thanks Tony,

I'll take a good look.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
QUOTE (7 1/4 Nick @ 19 Jun 2008, 10:04) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>No worries m8ty ill see what i can find to keep you busy for now http://www.gainsmodelrailway.ik.com/

Hi There.
I managed to get a copy of a Dvd produced by Gainsborough Model Railway Society. King's Cross-Leeds. It was produced in association with British Railway Modelling.
It goes over their O gauge layout. Had a quick look, looks interesting. Will sit down & watch it when I have time.
In the meantime if anyone else wants to come up with a plan I would like to see it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts