Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
garage hobbit!!!
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get married on Saturday, and am of on my Honeymoon next week to Nice.

I was just waundering if there is a steam railway near by that I could drop in on or would that be a quick way of asking for a divorce!!!

Brian
Condemed Man walking
(6 days of freedom)

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
A quick google on "chemin de fer touristique" turned up this list. You're looking for something in "Cote d'Azur" or "Alps Maretime".

I've been to the south of France many times though not for about four years. I am not aware of any steam railways down there. We did take a day trip to Tende on our last visit. It's a longish journey up into the mountains on the route to northern Italy. Tende was Italian until the end of WWII. There's not a lot to see in Tende if you don't like heights.

There is a lot to see and do even if you stay off the railways. You may find having a car makes it easier. We hired a Renault Megane convertible last time. It didn't quite break the bank but only because we flew with Easy Jet and stayed in a camp site in the hills near Vence.

I hope you get good weather and have a great time.

David
Disclaimer: I am not responsible for any consequences arising from the use of this information!!

·
Registered
340 Posts
For the steam engine:
It is a narrow gauge railway from Nice to Digne, which runs two steam engines during the summer from Puget Theniers to Digne.
This link should help:
http://www.gecp.asso.fr/
Transalated it says that the steam train is open on sundays till October.
Or this:
http://www.trainprovence.com/pages/fr/76/t...les-bains-.html
For the last link the terminus is in the center of Nice.

Another possibilty is the train de merveille which goes FRom Nice to Tende and, to gain height, circles several times in a tunnel.
For more information PM me.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (dwb @ 31 Aug 2008, 17:11) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Disclaimer: I am not responsible for any consequences arising from the use of this information!!

I like that!!

Regards

1 - 4 of 4 Posts