Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just to bring things on further, re steeplecabs.....I have somewhere, a bodyshell for the old Triang steeplecab electric.

I have been informed my memory is at fault, and the chassis was basically the Polly 0-4-0 rod chassis.

My question is......does anybody [our Tri-ang experts?] know what prototype Tri-ang based their steeplecab electric loco on?

or was it a ''generic' design?

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
According to Pat Hammond's "The story of Rovex" (Vol 1) the model 'bore a marked resemblance' to a 1940 prototype loco built in Stafford for the Fairfield Shipbuilding Co.; it is now preserved in Scotland. Also, according to Pat, it resembled a German classE electric loco.

The 0-4-0 chassis was first developed in 1959 for the Steeple-cab before being used in 1961 for 'Polly' and associated models.

Regards,
John Webb

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (alastairq @ 15 Oct 2007, 18:04) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Just to bring things on further, re steeplecabs.....

So you have finally come out...............anyway there's not a lot wrong with steeple cabs.

Regards

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 16 Oct 2007, 17:27) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>So you have finally come out...............anyway there's not a lot wrong with steeple cabs.

Regards

however, what ever IS wrong with steeplecabs sure puts people off!

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
without doing research, is the original-type Tri-ang chasis easy to come by?

If not, can anyone supply dimensions of wheelbase and wheel diameter?

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
I've seen quite a few 'Nellie' and related locos for sale on stands at exhibitions and toy fairs. Cannot quote prices with any accuracy but around £20? plus or minus £10?

Pat's book quoted in my previous post says the chassis was made in very large quantities for cheap locos for beginners' sets. So there are a lot out there somewhere.

I don't have the dimensions on wheel diameter or spacing - sorry.

Regards,
John Webb

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
I have seen the "Polly" type locos around at as little as £5.00 with the later S&DJR "7178" fetching a little more. Was it an upgraded chassis?

Regards

·
Registered
213 Posts
QUOTE (John Webb @ 16 Oct 2007, 23:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Pat's book quoted in my previous post says the chassis was made in very large quantities for cheap locos for beginners' sets. So there are a lot out there somewhere.

Yes,absolutely!-these are dead common!

Wheelbase is 33mm, -8'3" at 4mm scale,Wheel diameter is 16mm,-4' at 4mm scale..i.e. way too big for the majority of industrial 0-4-0's.

Earlier ones had an X04 motor,the last ones had the Scalextric type motor in a plastic cradle that slotted into the X04 chassis cut-out.

AFAIK the Triang Steeplecab is a generic design,stretched to fit that X04-powered chassis,many prototypes are actually quite small locos..

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (DS239 @ 17 Oct 2007, 14:14) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>AFAIK the Triang Steeplecab is a generic design,stretched to fit that X04-powered chassis,many prototypes are actually quite small locos..

Fleischmann have produced a steeple cab in a variety of liveries over the years. I wouldn't think a second hand one would be terribly costly. As an aside I have just checked their web site and can advise that currently the catalogue shows two models: 4300 - class E69 in green (not available) and 4306 rack locomotive in blue and white. (available).

Perhaps this may be of assistance.

Regards

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
The search was fruitful - I have found said steeplecab - it is a fairly old Fleischmann in the blue and white livery, also managed to find a couple of Viesmann masts. now all I need is an excuse to do something with it.

Regards

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Scaling up from a picture, using DS239's dimensions, suggests about 30mm of 'bonnet', 30mm of cab and 30mm of bonnet. So a couple of small 'Beetle' units, perhaps?

Regards,
John Webb

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have one of the 'original' Bachmann 44-tonners, bought when they first appeared, repainted in a spurious green livery, and equipped with ploughs....[plows?]

It is the two motor affair......so I think I'll take a wee look and see if there is enough room under the Triang bonnets...???

or is this sacrilege, and should I forkout for a nellie chassis?......(I have several blue and yellow 0-4-0 diesel chassis witht the slot car motor.....am I right in thinking...as noted in posts above, that these are a direct replacement for the nellie chassis?

and...would a Mashima motor fit?

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (alastairq @ 18 Oct 2007, 18:36) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>or is this sacrilege, and should I forkout for a nellie chassis?......(I have several blue and yellow 0-4-0 diesel chassis witht the slot car motor.....am I right in thinking...as noted in posts above, that these are a direct replacement for the nellie chassis?

Personally I would splash out on a correct chassis, however I am not sure if some other diesel chssis will fit - i have a feeling they were a different mounting.

On a more or less relasted thought didn't the NCB run an overhead electric system somewhere in the North-East?

Regards

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
There was an overhead/thirdrail system on Tyneside; one loco is preserved by the NRM. It has been modelled and was described in RM or elsewhere within the last 3 or 4 years. The line was run by NER, not NCB, and was a link down to the quayside from the electrified surburban lines, so coal was one of the goods carried. Could this have been the one you were thinking of?
Regards,
John Webb

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (John Webb @ 19 Oct 2007, 14:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>There was an overhead/thirdrail system on Tyneside; one loco is preserved by the NRM......from the electrified surburban lines, so coal was one of the goods carried. Could this have been the one you were thinking of?

Hi John,

I don't think so, I was aware of the system you mention but had forgotten about it. The one I am thinking about was, I am sure, totally self contained. I have a vague recollection of someone describing building a model of one of the locos in MR in the last two years.

Regards

·
Registered
763 Posts
I think the system BRITHO is recalling was the Hardon system on the south bank of the Tyne, which lasted into the late 80s , with small elderly steeplecab Bo-Bo locos running off overhead. It ran north /south and crossed (under) the Tyne and Wear Metro a stop or two before S.Shields. I think there's even a chapter on it in John Glover's Eastern Electric (though I'm away from my books and speaking from memory)

The Tyne Commission Quay branch was on the north side of the Tyne, not the south . This was part of the ex NER 3rd rail electric system on Tyneside , using 750V dc 3rd rail in the long steep tunnel down to the quay and overhead at both ends (exchange sidings and on the quay). One of the two Bo-Bo locos (LNER class ES1) is preserved at York. I believe the reason for electrification was the bad conditions in the tunnel coupled to the severe gradient

Judith Edge do an etched brass kit for the ES1

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (Ravenser @ 19 Oct 2007, 16:52) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I think the system BRITHO is recalling was the Hardon system on the south bank of the Tyne, which lasted into the late 80s , with small elderly steeplecab Bo-Bo locos running off overhead. It ran north /south and crossed (under) the Tyne and Wear Metro a stop or two before S.Shields.

That's the one thanks for that Ravenser I can sleep peacefully tonight.

Regards

1 - 18 of 18 Posts