Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Following on from the discussion over baseboard materials, I confess that I still prefer to use old fashioned 3,25mm cork tiles (B&Q do not sell them) for sub-road bed rather than foam.

My issues is the use of adhesives, I will not use the cork tile cement that sets rock hard but prefer a more flexible product. As I have a further 7,5sqm to lay, any suggestion on a suitable product?

Thixofix? Evostick Green?

Any ideas?

Tim

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
PVA. No Problem. Put something heavy on top for a few minutes & the job is done. It helps if you give the baseboard under the cork a quick of diluted pva to seal it first.

·
Bog Snorkeller
987 Posts
Tim save your money and don't stick it down. The reason is two-fold.
Firstly, if you just pin the track through the cork and then ballast it (sticking it down in the usual 50% pva water mix method) this is more than enough to hold it securely in place and provides a little air gap between baseboard and cork to lessen the noise.
Secondly, if ever you have the unfortunate scenario of having to lift some trackwork, then you only have to remove ballast from the edges of the cork and the remainder will lift out - glue it down and it's a mass destruction job.
If you're laying tiles over the whole area and them trimming back to fit the trackwork, just use track pins to hold the tiles in place whilst you lay the track, trim as necessary, then pull them out.

Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts