Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about adding a still water pond/lake to my rail scenery. For the deep water effect I'm not sure whether to use casing resin or the easier to use Woodlandscencis product. My only reservation about the woodland scenics bottle is that I've heard that the water remains a bit sticky and attracts a lot of dust. Has anyone had any experience of this.
Please give me your opinion on the woodland scenics water effect and if you think the end result is better than using casting or epoxy resin
Thanks
Keith

·
Ian Wigglesworth
750 Posts
Please wait!!!

Just trying the woodland scenics realistic water right now!

Trying different colours of paint then pouring this over the top, it looks like it may well need to be a mix of paint colours to get the desired effect coming through.

Only just poured it out, it's very thick but does flow quite well, leaves a very smooth top edge, the painted base can be seen straight through it.
It does say build up in layers of 1/8 of an inch, will post again tomorrow, when it's had chance to dry.

There is another way which I'm also testing is using straight from the bottle PVA glue mixed with a green acrylic paint which is slightly translucent.
By slapping on quite thick layers of PVA should give a nice uneven effect.
Hopefully as the PVA dries clear the colour should come through quite nicely, I may even try mixing some paint with the woodland scenics stuff see how that turns out.

Ian

·
Registered
342 Posts
I received my subscription copy of model rail today and noticed an article in there on the subject there is quite an array of products available on the market now !

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE (wiggy25 @ 13 Oct 2007, 23:41) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Bit of a close up of the dockside.

Image is a little blurred, if you need another just ask I will do one tomorrow when it's light!
This is the Realistic Water.

Ian

Thanks for that. I like the green seaweed along the walls. Woodlandscencis water certainly seems good. Does anyone know it give as higher gloss as epoxy or casting resin?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE (bangerblueed @ 13 Oct 2007, 18:59) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I received my subscription copy of model rail today and noticed an article in there on the subject there is quite an array of products available on the market now !

Yes, I also got my copy. Shame they didn't compare the products with other general resins and varnishes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE (alastairq @ 13 Oct 2007, 16:46) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>dust is always an issue with 'water'

whatever happened to layers of high gloss yacht varnish?

I was wandering about yacht (or some other high gloss) varnish. How many coates would you need to apply. Tony Hill at simplyscenery:
http://www.simplyscenery.com/images1.shtml
has made some good water effects using acrylic varnish. Anybody tried this?

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (khuws @ 15 Oct 2007, 08:41) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Did you use any specific brand/type of epoxy resin?
Yes, but I'm not sure what it is. I just remember what shelf it is in in the hardware store and what it looks like. The same brand may not be available in the UK. The important thing is to ensure that it is 100% clear. There are some types which have pigment. You don't want any colour as you may wish to add your own for say, a bottom layer with a slight tint to give an impression of depth.

I'll try to have a look when I get home tonight.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (mikelhh @ 15 Oct 2007, 23:00) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Neil - that water's up with the best I've seen.
Very glossy. I'm looking forward to reading which brand of resin you've used.

Mike
Bugger, I forgot to go out to the garage when I got home. I will send myself an email to make sure I do tonight. I got it from Bunnings though so you will get it in Brisbane.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
The stuff I used is called "Glass Coat" with the subtitle "premium Timber Finish"

It is epoxy resin but is 100% transparent it is an Australian product and available from Bunnings for those who live over here. I'm fairly confident that a similar product will be available from B & Q or Home Base in the UK.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 16 Oct 2007, 23:37) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The stuff I used is called "Glass Coat" with the subtitle "premium Timber Finish"

It is epoxy resin but is 100% transparent it is an Australian product and available from Bunnings for those who live over here. I'm fairly confident that a similar product will be available from B & Q or Home Base in the UK.

The only ones we have found in the past that are totally transparent are commercial products, available through the trade outlets, such as Brewers - cheaper than the shed as well.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I'll have a look-see when I'm next in Bunnings. My boys used a good glossy resin for their Warhammer but it's been thrown out and I can't remember the name.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts