Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

After boarding the loft out and putting boards right round the outside I set about making a huge layout..........Only to realise I didn't have the skill or the time to even get started properly never mind finished!
So after playing at trains for a while then getting despondent and uninterested I packed it all up so I could do some more loft insulation.

Then I thought I could put a small layout on work bench I had made (that I might actually finish) and play with scenery and LED's and scratch building and Withrottle and JMRI (and and and...... you get the idea. Basically I am building a lab to experiment in before I build a bigger layout. The only criteria so far is that it will use a scenecraft TMD building (A present from last Xmas) and run blue/sector locos.

The layout module is independent of the bench so I can take it outside for better pics when its completed, or even build a different module to sit in the space.

1: The finished Mimic panel wiring. please note there is no LED indicators for routes, to complex for my little mind at the mo. Next time maybe. But you can see the wiring for the two 3 way point diode matrix's.

2: Next up we have the home made CDU (£4 in parts), powered by a 24v DC transformer (£9.99 of eBay) 24v allows for the voltage drop across the diodes in the mimic panel and CDU. I only had a 15v DC output on my controller and that didnt have the oomph to drive 2 points at once via the diode matrix (I dont have a AC output on my controller so I coudn't try that).

3: Overall view of most of the wiring on the board.

Guy

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Right then here's the ballast pics. Turned out not too bad, Just did bits now and again

Overall View of Depot

Fuel unloading point insitu. MGR hopper waiting to be proppeled into wagon repair siding, which is the road behind the office block (could be some time, building not built yet!) Blue 37 sat in head shunt.

08 pushes loaded fuel oil TTAs into unloading road

First attemtpt at weathering oil stained track and ballast. the sheen will go but I'd like to keep it. Maybe some satin varnish?

Gotta finish tidying rest of ballast. But it's coming on.

Guy

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Being having a play. I cleaned the track and ran the 08 round to make sure all was well. Then I took the 3mm LEDS off the outside of the building and replaced them with the small SMD LEDs I have been playing with.

After that I glued some 5mm foamboard round the perimeter of the layout to start a boundary/retaining wall. Then I took some pics! Don't know what to else for the brick work yet?? Maybe Scalescenes but what colour???

Also I think the overall layout is looking a bit tatty. I hope when I finish the ballasting things look better. I know this layout is just a plaything to learn with but I want it to look kinda right!

The lights inside need a resistor!

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Great work there,this could easily be extended and incorporated into the larger layout you wanted. You appear to have the skills.

Frame.

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
QUOTE (poindexter @ 11 May 2011, 08:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Last but not least a Vid

This is where I am at the moment. I'll keep you updated.

Guy

Guy , How did you post the Youtube video on this site , I am a pooter illiterate , can do photos on here but not vids ,
Graham

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE (Capt Jango @ 11 May 2011, 11:31) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Guy , How did you post the Youtube video on this site , I am a pooter illiterate , can do photos on here but not vids ,
Graham

Hi Graham when you reply to a post or start one there is a box on the left hand side with the words "Quick Access" in that box there is an option "Insert: YouTube" I just pressed that button and followed the instruction.

HTH
Guy

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
Hi Guy Just what skills are you missing looks pretty spot on if you ask me. As Graham said could you incorperate it into you layout i've been thinking about doing something similar myself while i wait for my layout space to become available.
cheers jim

·
Premium Member
1,989 Posts
Hi Guy

"you say you dont have the skills" I dont think so, you have more than enough if you ask me, great work well done.

Now get started on the big layout you can always add this one to it later.

cheers
Ron

·
Registered
434 Posts
Well done Guy.

The lighting in the shed along with the refuelling area looks absolutely spot on.
Great slow speed running by the shunter over the points - I was half expecting it to stall and the HOG to step in!!!

Darned fine piece of work.

Regards

David

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cheers chaps. I still need to make a small shed for the wagon repair road and practice with scrub grass and paths and Walls etc etc etc. This layout won't fit on the new layout as that's going to be a bigger TMD and wagon repair layout based on Cambois. So I'll probably strip this for parts and sell the shed etc when its finished to fund the new layout. That said I'm having a lot of fun with this and I think it will be a while before its finished.

Guy

·
Premium Member
3,462 Posts
Hi Guy you have made a great start it all looks just right will look out for more and the vid is all so very well done

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hi the board is about 7feet x 18 inches
Cheers Big Dave

Not a lot going on considering I have been off all day!

This is the final design I am going to use for the lights. it's made of brass with a plasticard shade. The last bit of brass tube near the light is 1.6mm dia. and the main part 2.4mm. I still might trim the shade down a bit, works out at about £1.50 each.

Pics of the yard light.

I have decided to make the wagon repair shed, so I went to the model shop and bought some stuff. Now this aint gonna be no master piece but I'll give it my best shot. The cladding on the side is actually Wills roofing but it looks very similar to the cladding used on Cambois Depot, This is the depot I want to build once I have cut my teeth on this layout. http://www.flickr.com/photos/craigallan/33...in/photostream/

But for now here is the start of the wagon repair shed for Stockton Road.

Guy

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.