Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help with my Hornby mixed freight engines, I just set up a new layout, my set has been in storage for about 3 years due to a house move, my problem is the motors are turning on the two locos, but not moving, the select control appears to be fine, just seems fun that the two loco have stopped running, anyone got any advice?

·
In depth idiot
7,716 Posts
These are the Railroad 0-6-0's on the standard mechanism? If the motor is turning but not the wheels, then probably the gears are deranged in some way. Worm slipping or fallen off the motor shaft, or axle gear moved to one side or slipping on the axle. Remove the body shells to see what is happening is the first step. HTH, post what you see.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
These are the Railroad 0-6-0's on the standard mechanism? If the motor is turning but not the wheels, then probably the gears are deranged in some way. Worm slipping or fallen off the motor shaft, or axle gear moved to one side or slipping on the axle. Remove the body shells to see what is happening is the first step. HTH, post what you see.
Thank you I will have a look today.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you I will have a look today.
Hi 34C, well I took the 0-6-0 apart to inspect, the metal chassis is split it two, I suspect the other loco is the same, as I’m a bit reluctant to dismantle,looks like a couple of new locos is on the cards, thanks for the advice.

·
In depth idiot
7,716 Posts
That's a more serious fault than I was anticipating. I made a quick check to see if there were reports of chassis block failure in the 0-6-0's from the 'mixed freight' set, but nothing showing.

Repair would require obtaining new chassis blocks and rebuilding. If you don't fancy that, don't discard them but sell them on as 'breakers for spares' with a clear statement that the chassis block is broken and while the motor runs, the loco cannot move. The shortage of spares means you will get a sale.

If we are to be positive about this, much better loco models are available: they will however cost more. Do you have any specific interest in a particular area or period of railway operation?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi 34c, I was shocked when I started strip them down, so yes I will keep them as spares and use the shells on my layout. I’ve been waiting for two years to make a layout, Ive just finished my baseboard and was laying some track,pullEd out the mixed freight set, disappointe. I know it was a railroad set but it was to start me off on the journey. I’m torn between a country theme and a shunting yard, I just loved the shape of the 0-6-0 diesel, sorry I’ve gone a bit, thanks for taking the time to reply.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts