Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
DT
4,794 Posts
You have seen the mock up of the New Hornby mag:

Apparently it is not the final cover, but the layout on the cover is featured in the magazine.

You may have seen the latest Model Rail cover:

What do they have in common...?

They both feature the scenic layouts of the talented Chris Nevard.

Hornby Magazine features the The Combwich Branch 4mm layout and Model Rail features Cement Quay 4mm layout.

The Combwich Branch (4mm) By the latter half of the 19th century 'railway mania' was in full swing. Little excuse was needed for enterprising Victorians to create plans to link anything to anywhere. The model is based on the hackneyed final ten years of steam scenario, allowing a reasonable choice of trains and motive power based on what would have run on the real S&D in the period (and not in some cases!). Very occasionally the time period is moved into the early 1970s, steam power being replaced with Western Region diesel power.

Cement Quay (4mm) A modern day cement operation

With Silfor tufts and grassy vegetation around and between the rails. Chris uses PVA, hanging basket liner and paints it all to get a near perfect finish. Chris scratch-builds most of his model and I'm sure that his skills as a photographer help get the details just right.

These three layouts have been featured in Model Rail.
- Arne Wharf was in June 2004
- Combwich, June 2005
- Cement Quay, March 2007

Check out more layouts by Chris at his site here

·
Registered
148 Posts
Combwich also appeared in Model Railway Journal. One layout in three different magazines that's not bad going! Has anyone else noticed that the same layouts appear in different magazines recently both Western Super Mare (WCPR) and Clutton? Appeared first in MRJ then a matter of months later in British Railway Modelling there have also been quite a few others too over the past few years!

Those who may be interested Chris Nevard work, Cement Quay will appear at Railex Aylesbury at Stoke Mandeville Stadium on 26th&27th May full details of this show at http://www.rdmrc.nildram.co.uk/railex2007.html This is it only confirmed booking for this year.

David

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
I think work like this gives us all something to aim for, I dread to think how many hours work go into these layouts.

Regards

John

·
Registered
94 Posts
Heh, Chris Nevard and I both use the same camera.

I love the way he's set the atmosphere on the layout, which i've heard is quite a difficult thing to accomplish.

Jeorge, who's just been graced with a 4575 tank

·
Registered
135 Posts
No no no.... it's all a trick of the light - really, you wouldn't want to get closer than 5 foot!

Combwich appeared only in MRJ (they'd been sitting on the rather out of date feature for almost 3 years - wish they'd got in touch to say what they were doing before going to press, anyway all history now and frustration vented at the time, so no more on that), then shortly after in MR showing a far more complete layout and in COLOUR.

Don't pay too much attention to the mock up Hornby mag cover at this stage, you're in for a much finer treat there, you'll have to wait until next week though.

Outings are.....

Cement Quay - RAILEX 2007 Model Railway Exhibition - 26 & 27 May 2007 - as you already know.

Arne Wharf - Beaconsfield Show, 6 October 2007.

Cement Quay - Egham MRS Exhibition - 26 January 2008.

Catcott - Beaconsfield Show, October 2008 - provisonal, still to be built!

Currently there are no plans to exhibit Combwich, until I simplify tranportation to reduce wear & tear and the number of bits that need to be bolted together to get it working (unwealdy trestles, lighting rig etc). Despite a footprint of only 14' x 2' it still needs a van and a posse - neither of which I have.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hi Chris,

You are a master at work. Some of the best model scenery I have seen. Your works of art is an inspiration to us all!

Thank you for sharing it with us.

Kind regards from Pretoria in sunny South Africa.

Johan

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (nevardmedia @ 2 Mar 2007, 07:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>No no no.... it's all a trick of the light - really, you wouldn't want to get closer than 5 foot!

Such modesty is unbecoming in one so young.....

but having seen some of these works in the flesh they are superb.

Regards

John

·
Registered
9 Posts
Superb!

Mind you... I can't help a wry smile at the added difficulty of making a "modern" scene "authentic", i.e....adding all those "weeds".

Great layout!

Best regards

John

·
Registered
101 Posts
QUOTE (nevardmedia @ 2 Mar 2007, 07:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>No no no.... it's all a trick of the light - really, you wouldn't want to get closer than 5 foot!

In that case, Chris, can you tell me what lights you're using!??

It's great work, and I enjoyed your "modelling philosophy" notes, too. It's gonna be muted shades for me when I get to the scenic work....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Chris.

I have allways enjoyed model making in one form or another, and having only recently started in the world of model railways , I just wanted to say what an inspiration your Cement Quay layout is

I only hope in time my efforts come close to such miniature magic .

NICE ONE MATE !!!

CHEERS

1 - 13 of 13 Posts