Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, i am taking a plunge and trying to re-create Sturminster Marshall or Bailey Gate as it was also known and looking at a track layout of it in a book, it says 160 feet to 1 inch on the map.

Now, i was crap at maths when i was at school so, if i want to be as true to scale as possible, what on earth would 160 ft to 1 inch be for a 00 scale layout please anyone ?

If i dont have any luck here i might do an el supremo come mega sized layout of Charlton Marshall 'station' !!!!!

For those whom have never heard of these 2 stations, they were on the famous Somerset and Dorset railway (southern half of it)

Bailey Gate used to have a unigate milk factory and cheese factory and was the most profitable station on the southern half and the line and was sadly torn up in 1970.

If i can, i will try and put some photo's of it on here but dont hold your breath as i am unsure how to put pics on here.

thanks all

·
In depth idiot
7,685 Posts
We use 4mm to the foot in OO. So if the plan is 160 feet to the inch, that's 4x160 = 640mm on the layout, for every inch on the plan. Or to put it another way, the layout will be roughly 25 times larger than the plan.

Something to bear in mind is that it is often advantageous to compress all but already cramped prototype track layouts by somewhere around a quarter for modelling purposes. The real thing often sprawls somewhat, and this can detract from interest in model form. Maybe try it at 18 to 20 inches on the layout to every inch on the plan, if you want to assess this.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks 34c.

have worked out from what you have said and it will require 18 and a half foot (ish) !

like you say, scale it down abit and with that, fingers crossed, i might be able to produce bailey gate in time.

Now, how do i put pics on here ?

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
QUOTE Now, how do i put pics on here ?

This thread tells you how. If you have problems, post to that thread so that others can learn from your experience.

I look forward to seeing some pictures.

David

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (dwb @ 30 Aug 2007, 20:05) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>This thread tells you how. If you have problems, post to that thread so that others can learn from your experience.

David

Of the model layout or the maps and pics of sturminster marshall ?

andy

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
QUOTE Of the model layout or the maps and pics of sturminster marshall ?

My primary interest would be the model, but it is always interesting to see how it reflects the reality.

David

·
Registered
312 Posts
On a similar line a mate of mine is currently building Blandford forum Station for the Blandford Museum and he had to do quite a bit of selective compression, it's on display but not finished yet. There's loads of info out there on the S&D so good luck and keeo us posted.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was thinking of doing Blandford too and Broadstone but i elected for Bailey Gate.

one problem i have is catch points. does anyone make them or is it a case of D.I.Y ?

another problem i will have is hand painting the track 'rusty'. it will take ages but i hope to get there in the end.

the only pics i dont have is the churchill arms side looking towards the station and its yard. i have loads of books but none show the yard.

oh well, see what happens next eh......

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
QUOTE one problem i have is catch points. does anyone make them
Peco do left and right hand catch points in code 100 and code 75.

I expect someone will be along shortly to tell me that the Peco product is not a catch point but something slightly different. Whatever it is, your trains will be derailed if they cross one of these when it's open.

David

·
Registered
312 Posts
QUOTE (dwb @ 2 Sep 2007, 21:53) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Peco do left and right hand catch points in code 100 and code 75.

I expect someone will be along shortly to tell me that the Peco product is not a catch point but something slightly different.
David
Quite right on the first bit and slightly on the second bit,
They also use full switches (points) as catch points and they usually go into a sand drag. They tend to rely on overlaps and TPWS in new installations though as they are cheaper than the points, motors and associated controls. Modern braking systems and protection theoretically reduce the number of places where trap points are needed.
If modelling a prototype location find pictures to show which type they used.

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
Hi David

Catch, trap, whatever.... The naming also probably varies country by country... but the name isn't really important. In general I believe catch points refer to main line installations, trap points to those related to sidings

Its more to do with where it is and why its needed than what to call it really - ie on the main to stop runaways or in a siding exit point to stop careless shunting, over-runs or loose wagons fouling the main.

As has already been said, full turnouts often do the same job... so a single siding or loop may have a crossover with the facing points on the "exit" that will allow over-runs or breakaways somewhere relatively safe to go - It just depends on the circumstances.

Regards

Richard

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
Thanks for the explanations. I am sure you will be pleased to hear that I am installing the Peco things to at the bottom of gradients to catch runaways and all sidings connected to the main line will either have a headshunt / small siding or a trap point. I might consider a sand drag in one location if I have the space.

David

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE (dwb @ 30 Aug 2007, 20:05) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>This thread tells you how. If you have problems, post to that thread so that others can learn from your experience.

David

David, cant seem to load pics on here.

do you know how please or is there an admin on this site ?

thanks

andy

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
QUOTE David, cant seem to load pics on here.
Whoops, I seem to have missed this post.

The key point about posting photos on the Forum is that they must already be on the Internet, you can't just "attach" them to a post. There is a variety of "free" photo sites which you could use. Photobucket is one example. I use some of the web space I get with my ISP subscription. Once you have got the photo loaded on the Internet, the rest of the process is actually very simple. What I do is get the photo viewed in my Internet browser and then "copy" the contents of the address bar in the "paste" buffer. This gives me the http://www.stuff. When I making my post, I select the "Insert Image" icon (two to the right of the smiley face above this box I'm writing into) and when it opens the edit box asking for the URL, I "paste" from the paste buffer - and that's the job done.

To repeat, the key point is that the photo must already be accessible on the Internet.

Here's an example. I browsed to the Forum gallery and selected one of my Swiss photos for display. Once the photo had the "window" all to itself, I selected the contents of the address bar with the mouse and copied it to the paste buffer. Here's the content of the paste buffer just dumped "raw" into this post:-

http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index...=si&img=147

If I "wrapped" this text with the appropriate HTML tags, then the browser would go off and fetch the image data and display instead of the text.

I hope this helps.

David

1 - 14 of 14 Posts