Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
QUOTE (midway @ 30 Mar 2008, 19:38) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>have hornby produced loal coaches and if not why?

There is a shortage of good ready to run suburban coaches in 'OO'. In the current Hornby range there is the former Airfix 'B' set consisting of two matched coaches (one a brake coach). You can get them in GW chocolate and cream, BR(WR) maroon and (I think) blood and custard.

Black 5 Man

·
Registered
135 Posts
QUOTE (black 5 man @ 5 Apr 2008, 10:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>There is a shortage of good ready to run suburban coaches in 'OO'. In the current Hornby range there is the former Airfix 'B' set consisting of two matched coaches (one a brake coach). You can get them in GW chocolate and cream, BR(WR) maroon and (I think) blood and custard.

Black 5 Man

And some BR era non corridor sub's too by Bachmann in various liveries. Sadly all these models are rather dated compared to recent offerings, with the deep non flush glazing being their weekest points. With a bit of work and the help of some 'Flushglaze' (try Mainly Trains or a good model shop) they can be bought up to date.

Until recently, Dapol produced some non corridor LMS suburban carriages too in various liveries.

Not a great shot for this, however here are a couple of the B Set ones Black 5 Man mentions, after a repaint into faded mid 1950's crimson and Flushglazing. I replaced the coupling hook with a simple loop and hook from wire to get them to couple nice and close like the real thing.

Aagin a bit distant, this time of the Dapol LMS Subs, treated in a similar manner to the B Set.

·
Registered
108 Posts
QUOTE (nevardmedia @ 6 Apr 2008, 00:55) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>And some BR era non corridor sub's too by Bachmann in various liveries. Sadly all these models are rather dated compared to recent offerings, with the deep non flush glazing being their weekest points. With a bit of work and the help of some 'Flushglaze' (try Mainly Trains or a good model shop) they can be bought up to date.

Until recently, Dapol produced some non corridor LMS suburban carriages too in various liveries.

I've got a couple of old Airfix Midland suburbans which were pretty good for their time, and still draw favourable comment about their realistic matt finish when they are run at exhibitions. It's worth having a look at swapmeets for some of these suburban offerings where they can be picked up for relatively small prices. Okay, their quality isn't quite up to that of the new Hornby Maunsell coaches, but they are pretty good, and with modifications such as Chris suggests to glazing and closer coupling, they can look pretty good.

Nice pics as always Chris!

Paul.
Black 5 Man

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
We are badly in need of some decent LMS and LNER suburban coaches RTR. The old Airfix ones of which I have quite a selection were unfortunate in that they modelled the lavatory composite and lavatory brake 3rd which were not really common. Some straightforward LMS period 1 or period 3 suburbans would be great. Also a push-pull driving trailer to go with the Bachmann Ivatt 2-6-2- tank. With the right prototype there would also be scope for the LMS electric multiple units used on Euston-Watford and on the Wirral using much of the same tooling.
LNER designs were far more complex.
Ian Kirk did do some kits but I only ever got round to finishing off two suburbans for my LNER Push-Pull service allied to the C15 class a la Craigendoran-Arrochar service.

Incidentally, some corridor coaches were adapted for motor train work and used between Keighley and Oxenhope for example when they unstaffed the stations and employed a conductor-guard. I converted an Airfix 57' brake end into the driving trailer and the Mainline LMS Open Second is just right for the other trailer coach.

One could go on....

·
Registered
14 Posts
One of my pet peeves here too although the Hornby Gresleys are quite useful for BR branchlines.

Does anybody know what the old Hornby clerestories (not the GWR ones) are based on? A big batch in blood and custard have turned up have turned up in my local outlet going ridiculously cheaply - £6 ea, so I could be tempted to have a go at turning them into something useful if they're not based on some fantasian design.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
The 'Scale' clerestory coaches were introduced in 1982 with both a composite and a brake 3rd. (Part numbers: R122, R435, R484, R452 etc). Although originally in GWR livery, LNER and LMS liveried versions were also made.

They are based on a late 1890s design from the GWR, I think, having read Pat Hammond's "Story of Rovex Volume 3 1972-1996". A Midland Railway/LMS design was also considered but not produced.

Regards,
John Webb

·
Registered
14 Posts
That's what I suspected thanks, back in those days GWR and railway modelling were pretty synonymous.

Mind you what I really fancy is a Sentinel railcar...

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
The 'Scale' GWR Clerestories were quite accurate for the period but then they appeared in teak and Midland red. Some survived quite late so it would be quite accurate to add at least one as a summer strengthener on a GW branch train.

Nu_Cast did a Sentinel railcar kit - I have one unmade because the power bogie supplied was such a poor design which failed almost immediately and I have never bothered to find a substitute. It would be nice to see an RTR one but I think that that would be wishful thinking.

More to the point would be an RTR early Derby Lightweight DMU. They were always my favourites and then there was the Deeside line battery version.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm surprised one hasn't been done. I know there's a kit available to build one using the Airfic/Dapol body but I've had very mixed reviews and I would have thought an up to date RTR version by Hornby would go down very well; and not just with Scottish modellers.

·
In depth idiot
7,681 Posts
QUOTE (Saint Johnstoun @ 13 Aug 2008, 22:27) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>More to the point would be an RTR early Derby Lightweight DMU. They were always my favourites and then there was the Deeside line battery version.
The outlook for first generation BR DMU's has to be reasonable. Bachmann were obviously satisfied with the sales of the class 108, to announce the class 105. Provided that sells as well, they will likely continue to work their way through DMU's. Dapol have scanned vehicles from a Hampshire set for an announced OO model. If there is money in DMU's, Hornby must be likely to be thinking about enlarging their range. Get your vote in at the next available 'most wanted' survey would be my thought.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (Jonners @ 14 Aug 2008, 01:54) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'd love to see a RTR version of the 4 wheel diesel railbus used on many short Scottish branch lines.

Not just the Scottish lines - they operated in East Anglia as well.

Regards

·
Registered
14 Posts
I know the originals were plagued by technical problems and complaints about the ride quality, but the Park Royal really would made for a cheerful little addition to Scottish layouts, and as Britho says, to English ones as well. It would also, I would have thought, be very attractive to those who can't necessarily afford the bigger two and three car DMUs

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
As well as the corridor Clerestories the "short" non-corridor version appeared in both LNER Teak and Midland Red.

The body length (180 mm) works out at a scale 45' and if I remember correctly James Clayton worked in the Carriage & Wagon Department of both the GWR and the Midland Railway.

Alhough these models do not have interior seating it should be possible to create flush glazing and fit seats, resprayed in blue they could be used behind an Somerset and Dorset 4-4-0 or 0-6-0.

Regards

Ian 47

PS - If it helps I can try to check if I can match these to any Diagram No.

·
Registered
531 Posts
QUOTE (Ian 47 @ 19 Aug 2008, 09:38) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>As well as the corridor Clerestories the "short" non-corridor version appeared in both LNER Teak and Midland Red.

The body length (180 mm) works out at a scale 45' and if I remember correctly James Clayton worked in the Carriage & Wagon Department of both the GWR and the Midland Railway.

Alhough these models do not have interior seating it should be possible to create flush glazing and fit seats, resprayed in blue they could be used behind an Somerset and Dorset 4-4-0 or 0-6-0.

Regards

Ian 47

PS - If it helps I can try to check if I can match these to any Diagram No.

Yes please! Sorry about the delay - I am a Newbie and just started in this Forum.

regards
Barry

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi all. I model 00, and I've made what I think is a very nice looking ex-LMS push-pull set form an old Grafar compartment brake second/third, and one of the Airfix suburban composites. With a Bachmann Ivatt 2-6-2T as motive power it looks great. The perfect loco for this set would of course be the Johnson 0-4-4T, but there ain't an RTR loco of this class, and sadly Im not a kit builder. Ho-hum.
Regards John S.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts