Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would this section be the place to make suggestions or requests for things to include in future issues?

If so here's a few;

1/ Prototype wagons over the various eras and what is available in rtr for different types (this is something confusing to a lot of those of us starting in the hobby - there's a lot about locos (steam and diesel) and their classes and liveries but rarely a general article about wagons.

2/ Ditto coaches (although I acknowledge you've already produced some specific articles on coaching stock).

3/ Modelling Diesel Depots/TMDs (to follow on from the excellent MPD article in issue 11).

4/ Weathering locos (not covered by you so far).

5/ Article on modelling lineside accessories (huts, gantries, yard lights, cameo scenes etc).

6/ Scratchbuilding buildings for beginners (dealt with in other publications but usually specific prototype buildings).

I'm sure you've already got your own ideas on the editing team but just thought I'd add a few and perhaps encourage other forum users to do the same?

·
Registered
189 Posts
and repairing models - where to get spare parts

and making scenery elements

and wiring and how to keep it tidy - different forms of loom

and

and

and

more to follow once I make up a list

and ............

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
At the risk of appearing a heretic in some peoples eyes, it would be nice every so often to look at modelling outside the British scene. Modelling of overseas prototypes is, I feel, getting a lot more common at exhibitions.

Additionally a lot of what has been shown in HM is applicable to any railway modeller.

Perhaps as an occasional supplement.

I should perhaps add that I model both European and British prototypes.

Regards

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hi guys,

Thanks for your suggestions and your always welcome to make more. It's a pleasure to hear what you want us to as well as coming up with our ideas too.

Your ideas have been added to our features list, but if you wish to send in further suggestions with quicker results, please feel free to e-mail the editorial office at [email protected]

Best regards,

Mike Wild, Ed

·
Registered
1 Posts
QUOTE (DiesAL @ 13 Jun 2008, 14:06) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>5/ Article on modelling lineside accessories (huts, gantries, yard lights, cameo scenes etc).

6/ Scratchbuilding buildings for beginners (dealt with in other publications but usually specific prototype buildings).

There are great ideas. The scratch building one in particular, since that seems to terrify a lot of new comers, and some people who've been in the hobby a while too.

I have a suggestion though. The best way to learn how to scratchbuild something in a relatively easy way is to tackle one of the Wills Craftsmen kits. For a lot of them you just get sheets and you have to measure out and cut the parts from the sheets. The hardest part of scratchbuilding for me is making a good plan to build from, and the strength of the Wills kits is that part is already done.

5&6 above would be taken care of in one article (or better still series).
The other tough part of any building (kit, or scratchbuild) is getting a great finish (be it brick work or stonework) so that would make a good part 2. For example the Wills goods shed could, for an article, be built using stone sheets *and* brick sheets. Part one of the article could be tools and techniques for styrene buildings, research, drawing plans from photos (how to estimate sizes, etc.), part two building a Wills kit, and suggestions for customizing the kit, and part 3 could be getting a great finish, painting stonework, brickwork, distressing wood doors, weathering and so on.

Chris Nevard does great work, maybe he'd be ideal at such a buildings masterclass

Nick

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
on the subject of PLANS....and I'm not aiming this at the Hornby mag, as I don't buy it...but......I have noticed of late the DEARTH of PLANS.....both stock and infrastructure, within the modelling press.

there was once a time when almost every relevant mag produced a plan each month....RM in particular......

Most modelling subjects have gotten repeated again over the years, as new generations of readers start buying....and technologies develop and improve [ card no longer figures as a major modelling medium these days, as an example].......

but I don't often see PLANS being repeated.

sure, SOME of us have tons of back issues, possibly even catalogued, which give us a reference resource unparralled in the ethernet.....but these plans are STILL RELEVANT.....apparently.

I am aware of copywrite issues, but these CAN be overcome........

so whatever has happened to the modelling draughtsman?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Why don't you, in generic prototype articles such as the Cement Trains one in the August issue, feature pictures of the model examples from other scales rather than just be limited to OO gauge ones? For example in N gauge the Presflow, PCA depressed centre and straight barrel version cement wagons are available but not pictured. It would certainly help broaden the appeal of the magazine which currently is rather exclusively OO centred and domnated.

G.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
What ever is produced is a balancing act.

As a modeller based in New Zealand, I am reasonably lucky in so far as because we are a long way away from Europe that our scenary development is not centrally focused on "how it has always been done".

There are a lot of people who will read a magazine like this and go "thats how it is done" Whether there are better ways out there that give nicer results is immaterial.

IMHO far to many layouts use dyed sawdust for grass. Static grass looks better but because in some circles it is class either as a new or foreign product then it is dismissed out of hand.

Another example is DCC, it has been everywhere else in the world for a long time, but is only now taking off for British prototype modellers.

While the style of scenary may differ around different prototypes, the basic concepts are the same no matter what prototype you model.

MR occassionally build a layout over a number of issues. perhaps this would be a good place to start. Looking at the forum, the questions that are asked cover every thing from building baseboards up to chipping locomotives.

Just my 20 cents worth from downunder.

John

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (john woodall @ 18 Jul 2008, 22:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Static grass looks better but because in some circles it is classed either as a new or foreign product then it is dismissed out of hand.
We find this a lot - if we have similar scenic items "Noch" branded & "Gaugemaster" branded the Gaugemaster branded inevitibly sell first - because the GM is "British" & the Noch is "foreign" ? - maybe, but guess who makes the scenics for GM ?

The same "don't want to try it because it's new and/or foreign" goes for another product we sell called "Hydrofibre" - it's a reusable product that is excellent for scenic use & remains robust.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts