Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 1 of 14 Posts

· Registered
2,781 Posts
QUOTE (randolph @ 21 Apr 2008, 22:44) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I am contemplating using Sundeala Board for my layout. According to my local builders merchant it comes in the following types:

9mm Sundeala Board K-Internal 2440 x 1220mm
12mm Sundeala 'K' Quality 2440 x 1220mm
12mm Sundeala 'A' Quality 2440 x 1220mm

Can anyone advise me as to which type I should purchase.

Thanks R

This is a recurring question which pops up on every model railway forum every so often!

My advice would be don't use any of them!

I have had to help too many fellow modellers out of their 'Sundeala disasters' to accept its suitability for model railways!
It warps at rates Captain Kirk would be proud of and I have seen several layouts ruined by the stuff. No matter how you batten it down, it always finds a way to curl at the edges or sink in unsupported areas - even at the recommended 30cm intervals.

By the time you add up the cost and the extra supporting necessary, you'll find it cheaper to use ply which is a far more suitable product and does not warp at all - indeed my layout is all 12mm ply and was stored in my parent's garage (while we moved house) for a year here in Sydney Australia conditions: down to zero over winter nights and up to 45 degrees by day. The layout was not affected at all.

Unfortunately, the model railway press advertises Sundeala for model railways when it really isn't suitable.

Ply is really the only way to go. Particle boards are always susceptible to moisture.

Graham Plowman

1 - 1 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.