Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the monthly email that I get from Ontracks is the following statement.

Superquick Card Models - Clearance

" With the growth of Hornby Skaledale buildings, we've seen a decline in demand for traditional card building kits. The OO scale Superquick range is one of the oldest Card kit ranges and we've decided to stop selling the range from this month. All existing models are now reduced in price, so hurry to pick them up whilst stock remains "

Not sure if this hearlds the end of Superquick card modelling but if any one is interested I would buy them now before it's to late.

I personally used to be tired of seeing pictures in the magazines of the same Superquick buildings ( cinema and the row of shops) in virtually every layout.

Maybe in ten years every layout will be equiped with Skaledale buildings and they all will look the same again.

I also used to spot the very "twee" Peco back scenes again every layout used them they should be consigned to the bin

·
Registered
43 Posts
QUOTE (andyG @ 11 Jul 2007, 13:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I personally used to be tired of seeing pictures in the magazines of the same Superquick buildings ( cinema and the row of shops) in virtually every layout.

Maybe in ten years every layout will be equiped with Skaledale buildings and they all will look the same again.

I don't think that matters too much - most layouts happily live on their own in the owner's home and comparisons mainly happen in magazines.

I am not so sure that Skaledale is that much better than card kits. Both have that classic model building look in their own particular way. The Skaledale buildings may have more texture, but that's about it. I can see why they appeal to modellers though and how they've established their place in the market.

Having decided that scratchbuilding is not for me, I much prefer plastic kit buildings. May require time and effort painting, but they do yield a far better compromise between realism and skills required. And they allow to practise weathering skills on something far less precious than a loco... :)

Walter

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
I think it would be a sad day if Super Quick did disappear. I've found card buildings easier to modify than resin cast ones. Super Quick are still advertising in BRM so it's probably a case of a retailer dropping a product line.
As for weathering perhaps it's time you invested in a decent airbrush and compressor.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Card kits be they Superquick or whatever are far far cheaper than scaledale.

Regards

John

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Part of the problem is that the range has been quite static for a time while other ranges such as Metcalfe have continued to develop their offerings (and do N scale as well).

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
QUOTE the range has been quite static for a time
Now that is an understatement! Before the recent rapid regression of glaciers in the european alps, one might have described the progress of the SuperQuick product range as glacial, but I don't think it's even as fast as that.

David

·
Registered
436 Posts
QUOTE (60134 @ 12 Jul 2007, 04:21) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Part of the problem is that the range has been quite static for a time while other ranges such as Metcalfe have continued to develop their offerings (and do N scale as well).

Quite true but a shame nonetheless. Variety is the spice of life and if most have stopped using Superquick maybe they'll become fashionable again.
Plastics's my favourite too but I can see why Skaledale is now so popular. It will appeal to the collectors also as much of it is out for a short period of time. I think I'll order the Tardis...oops police box today come to think of it!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Plastic has always been my first choice, be it a kit or a scratchbuilt item. Having said that because of the promptings of people like Bob Heath of "Barchester" (Ceedee on this forum) I have tried both Metcalfe and Superquick, as well as scratchbuilding with card.
I must say that my preference is for Metcalfe as far as kits are concerned, but that's just one man's opinion.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I recently turned up some Superquick building papers I bought over 40 years ago, and I see the identical product is still available. Does anyone here know when Superquick first appeared on the market? My guess is that it was early 60s. I'm trying to think of what else we still have that's unchanged from that time... Peco Streamline track must be one of them.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
QUOTE As I mentioned on another forum Superquick are soon to introduce a new kit - a coaling tower - so thankfully they don't look like closing down just yet.

Pigs will fly before this happens. Some 31/2 years ago Super Quick announced the coaling tower with a flyer that I picked up at the Chippingham show this is not a fast moving dynamic organisation. They perhaps could be described as the slugs of the modelling world. We live in hope !

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
QUOTE " With the growth of Hornby Skaledale buildings, we've seen a decline in demand for traditional card building kits. The OO scale Superquick range is one of the oldest Card kit ranges and we've decided to stop selling the range from this month. All existing models are now reduced in price, so hurry to pick them up whilst stock remains "

Ontracks is a virtually pure mail order company I believe. Mail order companies don't like shipping card products because they are very heavy relative to their sales value and margins and they normally are unable to recoup their standard shipping costs. They are not "mail order friendly" shall we say. The latest changes to size related postal charging does not help either. Card buildings are incredible value for the size of the building and there will always be a market IMHO however I can understand why mail order companies are not keen.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Margins and turnover.
QUOTE Card buildings are incredible value for the size of the building and there will always be a market IMHO however I can understand why mail order companies are not keen.
Gary and I are in agreement again - this is getting serious we haven't had a good slag off in at least three days.
time to do some work !

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (Makemineadouble @ 12 Jul 2007, 10:46) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Margins and turnover.

Gary and I are in agreement again - this is getting serious we haven't had a good slag off in at least three days.
time to do some work !

Tsk tsk MMaD you are slipping........

Regards

John

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Good point about A4 format envelopes. Now if the company could just produce their kits in A5 format the postage would be SOOO much cheaper!

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
QUOTE Good point about A4 format envelopes. Now if the company could just produce their kits in A5 format the postage would be SOOO much cheaper!

Totally agree! This comment should be passed on to SuperQuick and Metcalfe.

I can fully understand why cardboard kits are not popular as UK mail order items under the new postal regime. It can actually be cheaper in some circumstances to ship overseas!

Happy modelling
Gary

1 - 16 of 16 Posts