Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
garage hobbit!!!
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, this has been propabilly done here before, if so I apologuise, but I am a complete novice when it comes to signals, never got passed those rather large over scale Hornby ones

What I am in need of is to locate someone who makes a decent range of LNER/BR Eastern signals. Easy I here everyone shouting at their screens, well I only want plastic kits, I have never worked in brass or have any of the tools for it, so that puts MSE kits out of the frame (sorry Andrew Hartshown, nothing wrong with them) and Ratio only do one kit, I need a range that will make up into a variety of different signals including a gantry

Any help would be grateful

Many thanks

·
Premium Member
2,837 Posts
Ratio do a gantry kit. I've got a spare one which I'm happy to send you for nothing. The packet has been opened because I intended to use it on a layout several years ago but never got around to making it. I certainly won't need it on my latest layout.

Send me a message with your address if you would like it. I've also got some ratio eastern signals made up many years ago before I knew about the different styles for different regions. You can have those as well.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Yes, both kits and ready-made realistic semaphore signals are difficult to get hold of, and Ratio's limited range is all we have in plastic kits that I'm aware of. I have tried them but found the all-plastic posts (particularly the round ones) very susceptible to damage which is why I've moved across to MSE's products.

Last year's MRE (Model Railway Express - Pat Hammond's website at www.mremag.com) poll came up with signals the most desired accessory - this year's poll is running at the moment in conjunction with virtually all the British model railway publications - do go and vote for signals this year - after all Hornby could do it some 40+ years ago!

Regards,
John

·
garage hobbit!!!
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (Robert Stokes @ 13 Mar 2009, 14:07) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Ratio do a gantry kit. I've got a spare one which I'm happy to send you for nothing. The packet has been opened because I intended to use it on a layout several years ago but never got around to making it. I certainly won't need it on my latest layout.

Send me a message with your address if you would like it. I've also got some ratio eastern signals made up many years ago before I knew about the different styles for different regions. You can have those as well.

Thanks Robert, have sent you a PM

Things like this make you think that there are good people in this world!

·
Paul Hamilton aka &quot;Lancashire Fusilier&quot;
844 Posts
QUOTE (bro sewell @ 13 Mar 2009, 21:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>...I have never worked in brass or have any of the tools for it, so that puts MSE kits out of the frame...

Don't sell your self short just yet. See my post over in the signalling section? Making an MSE Signal

Never had touched a soldering iron before that and the total cost of the bits I used to make it would have been less than 20 quid (solder, flux, some files etc). At 8 quid a pop for a kit and about 8-10 hours work you will have a champion looking signal for sure. I am happy to help with queries and the like too by the way. As would John Webb I am sure.

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
QUOTE Don't sell your self short just yet.

I second that. I consider myself to be a complete duffer when it comes to manual skills but I'm getting to grips with soldering in a satisfactory way thanks to the advice that's available from members here. From seeing the work you've displayed here, I think you would get on great - certainly better than me.

David

·
garage hobbit&#33;&#33;&#33;
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I might give it ago once am back in work, cant justify buying the tools at the moment, SWMBO would rightly be anoyed if I start getting new tools before, morgage comes first. (would be nice if one of the interviews would got back to me)

The only soldering I have done is for the wiring up, and I dont think that would count as practice on fiddley brass componants

How much folding is there involved in building up MSE kits? (as i dont have a folding jig) What kind of iron would I need, and what sort of solder/flux?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Quite a lot I think I have a couple of kits of lms pattern goundsignals i bought and then put away again once I had looked at the instructions. However I'm sure that a bit of practice and a lot of patience would get me there but as some of the parts are whitemetal i do need to invest in a temperature controlled iron.

Actually now when you have the time is probably the best time to have a go at something like this. Is it possible to borrow a soldering iron and or any other tools off a friend ? The only way to get over the fear of tackling brass kits is to have a go at one

·
garage hobbit&#33;&#33;&#33;
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Actually now when you have the time is probably the best time to have a go at something like this. Is it possible to borrow a soldering iron and or any other tools off a friend ? The only way to get over the fear of tackling brass kits is to have a go at one
[/quote]

Unfortunatly not, borrow the tools that is, not lack of friends. As most of my friends are not into this hobby and also are very wide spread around the country (nature of caterering) But looking at the thread from LF hasnt helped un-ease the idea about taking the jump, his looked hard enough doing round post, and I want to build LNER lattice style so will be more fiddley, and with the cost (not sure how this will compare with plastic) at £8-10 each x 40, LF have you remoraged? Thats alot of signals, cant wait to see them on your layout

Will just have to wait and see what comes

·
Paul Hamilton aka &quot;Lancashire Fusilier&quot;
844 Posts
Lattice will be easy, follow the excellent instructions in the kit. Download the instructions from the MSE site and have read before hand. The instructions and my post tell you all about the equipment you need. A temp controlled irn is of value through out the hobby and will not let you down. Apart from that the solder and flux required are cheap. A vice and a steel ruler will suffice as a folding tool. Remember I had never soldered anything other than a few wires also before tackling the signal kit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts