Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys can anyone give me a link or address for corrugated effect sheeting? i'm looking to scratch build some half relief factory units i've done a google search and only found a supplier in the USA! the idea i'm trying to achieve is found on the old Dyserth rd website but now under Holland park web address. The factory units he's made look so effective especially with the lights on them.I've already sourced the lights so thats okay just the rest i need.
thanks in advance

·
Registered
312 Posts
Wills is excellent, For future reference Slaters Plasticard also do A4 sheets in 2, 4, & 7mm scale. I cut it up into smaller sheets and glue it on which is especially useful for distressed buildings.
Two pics off our club layout using 4mm scale Slaters sheets.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I have found, the issue with the Wills corrugated sheets is their thickness....and the need to seriously thin down all visible edges.

I still have a mine structure I built years ago...[US prototypes]....a ply box, some ore chutes, and a long piece of square section wood as a covered conveyor...all clad inn corrugated sheeting.....a metal staircase to a door,lightshades, etc....

Being a tightwad, I made my corrugated sheets from tinfoil foodtrays....[washed first, to get rid of the crusty mash]......cut into strips scaled to standard tin sheet sizes...and then impressed with something like an appropriate bolt thread, or a comb, or whatever...that gives what seem to be the right size for corrugations.

of course, these sheets are a tad fragile, and unlike Wills sheets, which can form the actual structure itself....my sheets needed a backing wall/roof of card/wood/ plasticard .

upside of my sheets were, they could be bent/distorted randomely as per real sheets...and would respond nicely to some etchant on the edges, for that frilly, rusted out look??

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
You could of course roll your own.
Rolling Machine
Commercial sheeting is produced on the same principle, you simply need the corrugation machined on the rollers. I've seen this done, someone in south Africa was producing these sheets in soft Aluminum and doing an excellent job.

·
Totally Crazy.......
684 Posts
South East Finecast do a very good sheet for corrugation - they also do the square shaped cladding ( as used on modern buildings like modern engine sheds. They also do a clear glaze corrugated which fits with it. Not only is it formed both sides but it is flexable and thin as well and far far better in both scale and detail than the wills sheets that are far to thick to really effectively use for building anything.

FBS409 Corrugated Iron Sheet 2.95
FBS410 Corrugated Clear Sheet 2.95

FBS413 Profiled Steel Cladding

For some reason it is not on there online site except if you go on to this PDF ( page 7 ). I rung them recently to check they were still making it and the guy said they were and you can order it at 2.95 a sheet.

http://www.sefinecast.co.uk/RetailSep07.pdf

Hope this helps you all.............

Nikki

1 - 13 of 13 Posts