Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys I have just been surfing the web and they have included the prices of the seperate items that are on the Bachmann Dynamis site.

http://www.dynamisdcc.com/products1.php?lang=en

I was horrified to see what price they are quoting for the Pro box itself £164.95. I'm sorry but according to what I've seen on my local model railway supplier in Stockton they have it on at 13.95. Please someone tell me the price on the Bachmann site is a mistype. If it isn't then I will most definately be selling my unit and getting something else.

This link is what my local retailer has it as on their page.

http://www.stocktonmodeller.co.uk/model_tr...ails-23431.html

Let me know what you guys think please.

There is still no release date as yet but at least they are updating the site.

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
I'm not sure there ever was a firm price quoted, £13.95 is way too low, a lot of decoders cost more than that. £165 seems a bit on the high side to me. That takes a "complete" system to around £265 which is rather a lot for what you get. For some reason the "ball park" figure I had in mind was £100 which would have been "bearable" seeing as you were buying two separate components rather than one complete one for say £185.

Maybe this the first of many price rises as the cost of inputs go up; if it isn't and the price is correct, I can't see Bachmann selling too many of them....

David

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well i've sent a question to them just to confirm if it is a typo or not. We will see when and if they reply as to what they say.

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (harkins77 @ 21 Jun 2008, 05:05) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Ok guys I have just been surfing the web and they have included the prices of the seperate items that are on the Bachmann Dynamis site.

http://www.dynamisdcc.com/products1.php?lang=en

I was horrified to see what price they are quoting for the Pro box itself £164.95. I'm sorry but according to what I've seen on my local model railway supplier in Stockton they have it on at 13.95. Please someone tell me the price on the Bachmann site is a mistype. If it isn't then I will most definately be selling my unit and getting something else.

This link is what my local retailer has it as on their page.

http://www.stocktonmodeller.co.uk/model_tr...ails-23431.html

Let me know what you guys think please.

There is still no release date as yet but at least they are updating the site.

*** Manufacturers rarely make such silly mistakes.

I think stockton modellers price is for the extension IR unit, not the Pro Box.

I think that the price is as close to accurate at it can be, and apart from mass merchants possibly making a preoorder special or intorductory splash, thats the price it will / should be.

The Dynamis Pro box is not simply a booster but also includes extended system intelligence. I'm not at all surprised at the price which is comparable to the "system box" from others and anyway it does fit with some very early discussions re dynamis which discussed the overall "full blown system price" as being 220~240-ish.

Any thoughts that this system would be a low cost were only ever wishful thinking if you really also considered the cost addition that will always come from it being ESU based.

So... at the time of those early discussions it was already clear that Dynamis+ Pro box was going to be dear, and that the NCE powercab and powerhouse pro were a far better path to follow.... They still are by a long margin.... everyone has simply chosen to forget or hope for something for nothing yet again...

Richard
DCCconcepts

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
If Bachmann are quoting £164.95 that is probably the RRP

The £13.95 is probably a typo which should be £139.50 - that equates to a discount of about 20% rounded down to keep it just under £140.00

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies to this subject guys.

I've actually seen the published price in black and white that the actual pro box is priced at 13.95 that my local retailer have based their website details on as it was sent by bachmann itself.

And I have just confirmed with my local shop that it is the price listed. Although there is a line saying prices are subject to change. But surely there is a limit as to how much they are going to change.

I know no matter what is said on here nothing is going to change but it does stink a little that they have lured many a consumer in and even listed to dealers that the price of the pro box being so cheap and if they have taken pre-orders for it I can't help but wonder how many people will be returning their basic dynamis systems and plumping for something else.

I myself are one of those people who is either considering selling the dynamis and going somewhere else or even taking a membership with MERG and buying their kit for reading and programming decoders prior to installation to byass having to buy the pro box if it is going to be that price.

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (harkins77 @ 21 Jun 2008, 19:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks for the replies to this subject guys.

I've actually seen the published price in black and white that the actual pro box is priced at 13.95 that my local retailer have based their website details on as it was sent by bachmann itself.

And I have just confirmed with my local shop that it is the price listed. Although there is a line saying prices are subject to change. But surely there is a limit as to how much they are going to change.

I know no matter what is said on here nothing is going to change but it does stink a little that they have lured many a consumer in and even listed to dealers that the price of the pro box being so cheap and if they have taken pre-orders for it I can't help but wonder how many people will be returning their basic dynamis systems and plumping for something else.

I myself are one of those people who is either considering selling the dynamis and going somewhere else or even taking a membership with MERG and buying their kit for reading and programming decoders prior to installation to byass having to buy the pro box if it is going to be that price.

*** Please don't take this wrong as I see what you have written... but common sense would surely say to Stockton modeller and anyone who read that price - "Surely its so far being a sensible price that it has to be a misunderstanding".

Think about it... I'm just really at a loss how anyone could expect a device that dramatically increases output power and does the same for overall system intelligence could sell for less than a single decoder or a couple of peco passing contact switches......

I really don't think is classifiable as Bachmann "having lured anyone in" either - or to think its some nefarious plot... More a case of having chosen to ignore reality I am afraid.

(Incidentally, I'd not be too sure about the reference retailers accuracy.... Stockton modeller list the bachmann wireless receiver 10% above rec retail at £16.80 <Bachmann list it at a full RRP of £15.25!> - and both Rails of Sheffield & the Hattons site - major bachmann clients which are always prompt to list pricing for pre-orders when advised by te Mfrs still have NO price listed for the Pro box... are you really SURE Bachmann ever issued that £13.95 price???)

Regards

Richard
DCCconcepts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Yeah I agree with the point that no other of the big retailers have prices on at this time but I have in my hands at the moment a copy of the price lists from the Bachmann price list. See below in the pic of a scan I have taken of the list.

I've been back in contact with the local shop and they have now changed the price on the website to reflect the so called new price that is on the bachmann dynamis page.

Now I don't want anyone getting into trouble about this but I am annoyed that they have changed the price of it and yes I know I can just change my system but where else can I get something that I find as easy to work with as the Dynamis.

I mean I am happy with the Dynamis as it is but having to pay more than what the origional kit costs just to be able to read decoders and have a seperate track away from the layout for programming it just makes me a little upset.

Basically I am going to have to either bite the bullet and pay what they are now asking for change the whole system and pay more than I really want to for it.

And I take back what I said about bachmann apparently luring anyone into thinking that they would have a cheap system.
But thankyou for the chance to have a rant.

Attachments

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (harkins77 @ 21 Jun 2008, 22:58) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yeah I agree with the point that no other of the big retailers have prices on at this time but I have in my hands at the moment a copy of the price lists from the Bachmann price list. See below in the pic of a scan I have taken of the list.

I've been back in contact with the local shop and they have now changed the price on the website to reflect the so called new price that is on the bachmann dynamis page.

Now I don't want anyone getting into trouble about this but I am annoyed that they have changed the price of it and yes I know I can just change my system but where else can I get something that I find as easy to work with as the Dynamis.

I mean I am happy with the Dynamis as it is but having to pay more than what the origional kit costs just to be able to read decoders and have a seperate track away from the layout for programming it just makes me a little upset.

Basically I am going to have to either bite the bullet and pay what they are now asking for change the whole system and pay more than I really want to for it.

And I take back what I said about bachmann apparently luring anyone into thinking that they would have a cheap system.
But thankyou for the chance to have a rant.

***Take another look at the Powercab - 28fn, dead easy to use - I've used both and I'd rank it as far nicer actually... enough power to more than run your entire layout power wise and full read/write programming for under GBP100.... If U ebayed the dynamis the make-up amount wouldn't be so much at all....

Richard

·
Registered
149 Posts
hi all,

look under the picture. it states t.b.a. at the same time it conflicts with the stated price.

john

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
None sale of the add on unit may bring Bahmann into line with other manufacturers ...... as the dynamis total price of £265 is not acceptable consideriing alternatives.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts