Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to start building the first part of my layout and while I am awaiting permission to use the spare room for 'er indoors I am going to construct a suspension bridge. I have already completed the drawings on AutoCAD, and I am good to go, the only thing now is to decide which materials to build the bridge from. My original idea was to build it from steel strip, 1mm gauge for the bridge bedding and going thicker for the legs and the support stanchions, and then using a pair of condemmed steel rope lifting slings that i have aquired from work. The materials would be welded together in the main part, with self tapping screws and bolts providing other fastenings when welding is a little extreme.

Since completing these drawings however I have been giving serious thought to using timber to build the bridge as it has obvious advantages with cost and weight.

Which method do you guys think would be better for the bridge?

The dimensions are 600mm length x 100mm width x 300mm height, and the means to build it are not a problem as I am a Mechanical Fitter and not too bad with the carpentry game neither.

All help and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Rocket

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Hi R,sounds interesting,perhaps a few pics would give us more of an idea of what your trying to accomplish.....Frame in Padstow

·
Registered
29 Posts
so in old money your bridge is 2 foot long, 4 inches wide and 1 foot high? I take it that the hight of the 'tower' above the bridge?

Also is yours one with a tower at one end - or a tower in the middle with the ropes spanning to the edges?

Either way I personally would go for wood, with sufficient strength to support the loads (live and static) and then basically make the suspension part as decoration - which may mean you can make the suspension wires more to scale?? I am also guessing OO scale?

Lastly - just because i am nosey - can you post some picks of the proposed bridge?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The bridge will have 2 towers like a traditional suspension bridge with the ropes slug between 2 towers and then anchored to the base of the layout. The bridge be it contructed of timber or steel will be strong enough to take any loads on its own and the ropes will just be for effect really. Pictures will be posted once construction begins but at the moment I'm still in 2 minds about the materials

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Hi Rocket,

Given what you are planning I would definitely go for the wood construction, I imagine that a steel version would be extremely heavy and possibly unweildy.

Regards

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Hi any chance of having a look at the dxf file? It sounds like something I would like to build in the future.

Thanks

Martin

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
QUOTE (Martin71 @ 28 Mar 2009, 13:58) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi any chance of having a look at the dxf file? It sounds like something I would like to build in the future.

Thanks

Martin
Is this in response to my post? If so Im not sure what a dxf is

1 - 9 of 9 Posts