Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know we have eBay and all that goes with it including the eBay fees.

Are there any thoughts in connection with having a swap shop type section at Model Rail Forum where, for example, those wishing to dispose of a loco could indicate what they would want in exchange?

It seems to work at Slotforum where to date there have been over 1600 items offered up. However there has also been the occasional dispute between members:-

http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?showforum=14

Happy modelling
Gary

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Not a bad idea providing it's kept or personal use only.

& why do some people seem to have such a problem with Ebay.Paypal fees ? Sure they make shedloads of money, but then again so do lots of other Swiss companies.

I use eBay myself & don't have a problem - last Saturday I put some LGB bits & pieces on "buy it nows", sold them within hours, bought some superb Rivaross CIWL coaches on a "buy it now" & they arrived yesterday, not bad at all.

You will also hear the odd scare stories about eBay, fair enough, bvut when the media report they don't mention the 1,000,000's of good trades.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
I'll swap my 12 year old cat for a nice LGB loco........

Regards

John

·
Registered
487 Posts
Swapping railway rolling stock and accessories in the past showed that each swapper wanted the upper hand or a cash surplus. If however on rare occasions someone may want to exchange an unwanted item at any offer!
I think a sale forum would be a good idea providing that all participants made fair offers at realistic prices.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
QUOTE (dbclass50 @ 13 Jul 2007, 00:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>& why do some people seem to have such a problem with Ebay.Paypal fees ? Sure they make shedloads of money....

Very good point.
From a commercial point of view, Ebay/Paypal represents very good value for money - there's no way you'd ever get comparable transaction fees (ie lower) from the banks!

Graham Plowman

·
garage hobbit&#33;&#33;&#33;
1,715 Posts
Not sure if an LGB for a 12 year old cat is a fare swap, I'll offer an Old Lima of simular vintage

Brian

ps the cat has to be a grey one so I can call it Gresley

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (bro sewell @ 13 Jul 2007, 10:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Not sure if an LGB for a 12 year old cat is a fare swap, I'll offer an Old Lima of simular vintage

Brian

ps the cat has to be a grey one so I can call it Gresley

It depends what the LIma is, oh and i can easily dye the cat any colour to fit layout settings..................

Regards

John

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (dbclass50 @ 13 Jul 2007, 19:22) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Definatly not - I've seen the brute !

But at least he's got all his tail, and most of his fur................

Regards

John

·
is asleep
758 Posts
I think a swap sub-forum is a very good idea and would be a harmless addition to the rest of the MRF, on condition that:

1. Swaps though facilitated by the MRF are still private deals between two parties, and the MRF has no liability.
2. A member will be evicted from the MRF if they complain about a swap/the person they were swapping with, in any other part of the MRF.

I have 4 Roco N SNCF Shimms covered steel carriers which I am very keen to swap for the Austrian/German versions by Roco, since they were all produced a few years ago and are very rare to come across. I'm sure the SNCF ones would sell well on eBay but that wouldn't help me get hold of the ÖBB version! However by listing them as a swap they will be picked up by a google search after a while and so anyone in the world can find them...eventually I would get an offer!

(Thinks wishfully...)

Goedel

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.