Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just ordered a Marklin wagon(the glowing iron load) which I specified as a DC 2-rail axle on the order form. Will the wagon be already changed over or will I have to remove the original axle and put the new one in. Is this an easy operation or liable to breakages/lots of sweat?

thanks

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
Changing over the axles in trix/Maerklin items is pretty easy and the shop will do it if asked or you can do it your self. The problem is when you have an item which carries current for lighting etc. If the item you have ordered is the one I think it is then you will not be able to operate the glowing led feature by changing the wheels without some form of rectifying the current from ac to dc.

I have some Maerklin coaches with lighting and chose to remove the third rail shoe underneath, remove the power pick ups and lose the lighting as rectification was a problem. However if this is the torpedo ladle wagon with the glowing molten iron and rotating body then these features are ones you will not want to lose. Trix did do a version of this however if you ordered the Maerklin version it will be set up for AC current. You might want to discuss this with the shop.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
As Neil says you really need the Trix version to operate this model "out of the box". Changing wheels is usually very simple.

However, if you end up with the Marklin one & change the wheels the glowing LED should stlll work if you arrange some pickups. The LED arrangement will have a small rectifier in the circuit to change the AC to DC (same as Marklin LED lir coaches, such as the Rhinegold set).

BTW Neil - you should be able to do something similar with your Marklin lit coaches.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
Yes Brian, I'll probably get round to it someday. I had another thought about this last night and it's fairly important. I beleive this wagon has a deocder in it. The Maerklin one will be Motorola and the Trix Selectrix and DCC. If your controler cannot control Motorola you're in trouble.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Hi thanks for the replies guys. The model came today and the wheels had already been swapped for me. Its not actually the wagon you are thinking of, its actually a 6 axle bogie wagon of Epoch III with a iron ingot type load in a thermal cover. The glowing light is motion sensitive and is powered by two AAA batteries that you place inside the load. The motion sensitive switch needs a bit of a knock to light it, it then stays lit for a few minutes and gradually fades. The lid comes off to see the ingot.

http://www.maerklin.de/de/produkte/tools_d...tdatenbank.html

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
No problem Simon, the one I was thinking of was the one which had a decoder and rotated and had a glowing iron ore bit. This had about 20 wheels on its bogies. Incidentaly there is a Trix reissue of this model this year without the decoder and functions for 50 Euros.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Neil, I didn't realise that the torpedo ladle wagon came with and without certain features. What actually glows on it as I can't see any openings in the main body of the vehicle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts