Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
One of the reasons I like the new bachmann Ivatt 2-6-0 is the ease of the sound chip install. I installed the chip last week and did this little clip

(sorry for poor camera work) last week at a church show. There were a few local railway men there who were very impressed with it, and I have to say so am I. Of the three steam sound chips I have, SWd GWR , Howes Spamcan and this, the Ivatt is easily the best. I will put it on a rolling road and do a demonstration of the full range of sounds later.

There are two Ivatt versions available, one with br whistles and one with lms whistles. It was loads of fun on my end - end layout (Wellfracombe) with steam sound, though testing / using them last night in the noisey club enviroment on a tailchaser I was not so convinced. You only heard the sound 4 ft either side of you. that may be enough for some, but when paying £85 for sound, i want to hear it!

More clips and details later today with luck.

simon

·
Registered
334 Posts
Ok, its easier to demonstrate this (and other chips!) on the rolling road.

we have (all on F keys forgive wrong terminolagy) the drain cocks opening first, sounds like a kettle being filled, then the shoveling of coal, cycnder cocks being opened, short whistle blast and we are off. Close cylinder cocks and we pull away, increasing speed slowly. Couple of blasts on the longer whistle, there are two types, increase speed then slow to halt, at which point it blows off!

As I said, all the above is on F keys and gives loads of play factor.
One thing that does not work for me though is the loco at idle. It makes a constant hiss. Now if there is another sound chipped loco in use nearby, it helps take away the annoying hiss from the stationary loco, but on its own I am soon finding it very anoying. Its like when a record gets stuck and the speaker just plays that repetative sound.
Saying that, so far I have not been able to keep the loco at rest for long as its so much fun driving it around!

They are ESU chips, programed by SWD.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Very nice quality of sound I am impressed, what size speaker could you cam in the tender ? From my experience the quality of sound improves expodentially
with the size of the speaker. Recently I tried a few 4 mm loco's with a 28mm speaker and the sound quality is superb.

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
Awesome!

I was on the SWD website last night and there was no mention that this was available. This is probably the first steam sound I can see my way to buying.

David

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (dwb @ 8 Aug 2007, 18:38) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Awesome!

I was on the SWD website last night and there was no mention that this was available. This is probably the first steam sound I can see my way to buying.

David

I haver had the chipon test for a week or so but only yesterday was I told it is being released to the waiting world, so thats why I have weaited until now before posting. As far as I am aware it is ready for sale this week.

I have a 20x 40 speaker with enclosure in the tender.

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
QUOTE I haver had the chipon test for a week or so but only yesterday was I told it is being released to the waiting world, so thats why I have weaited until now before posting. As far as I am aware it is ready for sale this week.

I have a 20x 40 speaker with enclosure in the tender.

That's fair enough. I am sure that the 20 x 40 speaker must be a major contributor to the sound you are getting. Was it easy to fit? I imagine you've had to carve away a lot of the tender's insides, or maybe the Ivatt doesn't get the same detail treatment as the 9F, A1 etc.?

David

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE (dwb @ 8 Aug 2007, 19:50) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>That's fair enough. I am sure that the 20 x 40 speaker must be a major contributor to the sound you are getting. Was it easy to fit? I imagine you've had to carve away a lot of the tender's insides, or maybe the Ivatt doesn't get the same detail treatment as the 9F, A1 etc.?

David

Installation was ok, had to cut out some of the coal run in the tender but a piece of black placticard and some real coal will cover this, its not that bad. I just hope all locos go this way!

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
I've just received a Bachmann 2-8-0 consolidation (On30) with Tsunami sound and that has to be one of the best sounding loco's I've ever owned - stunning.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts