Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
I'm toying with the idea of buying a new locomotive in N gauge, mostly because I'm interested in seeing whether and, if so, how they have improved in the last few years.

I have all sorts of things in mind, but rather fancy something Swiss, to make a change from my largely German collection. For some time, I have had in mind Kato's Re460, based on rave reviews I read some years ago. Unfortunately, I don't believe they can still be obtained in UK, although still available in USA, at a small premium. Since then, of course Fleischmann has also started to install flywheels in most of its locos and now I am in something of a quandary as to which maker to favour with my lolly!

The only Swiss Kato I can readily locate in UK at the moment are variations on the Re 6/6, which Fleischmann doesn't make, so Fleischmann options for me would be an Re4/4 or an Re 481, assuming I can actually find them in stock and at a sensible price, that is!

Kato Re 460 - acknowledgements Eurolokshop

Kato Re 6/6 - acknowledgements Eurolokshop

Fleischmann Re 4/4 - acknowledgements Fleischmann

Fleischmann Re 481 - acknowledgements Fleischmann

Both manufacturers have a really excellent reputation for performance and quality. But does anyone here have any direct experience of their latest products or, even without hands-on experience, any comments to make or opinon to share?
Any experience with Fleischmann flywheel locos of any description?
Perhaps even alternatives to suggest?

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Gauge: Minitrix
Group: Locomotives
Subgroup: Electric Locomotives

Released in: Neuheiten-Prospekt 2005

QUOTE Prototype: Swiss Federal Railways (SBB) class Ae 8/14. (1´A)A1A(A1´)+ (1´A)A1A(A1´)wheel arrangement, built starting in 1931. Use: Heavy freight trains on the Gotthard route.

Model: Era IV. The locomotive has a die-cast metal frame, with a digital connector, one motor for each locomotive half, 4 powered axles, close coupling between both locomotive halves and a close coupler mechanism at both ends. Length over the buffers 212 mm / 8-3/8".

The rail lines in Switzerland with their grades, tunnels, bridges, and curves are a special challenge for the locomotives that travel over them. Mastering the 240 kilometer / 150 mile Gotthard line in particular demanded extraordinarily powerful locomotives over the years. A freight locomotive, the Crocodile, became famous on this line. The largest and most powerful locomotives were however the three class Ae 8/14 electric locomotives. They were developed in the 1930s just for the demanding requirements of this steeply graded line. Each of these double locomotives had a weight of 240 metric tons. The 8 traction motors for the locomotive gave a starting tractive effort of 50 metric tons and an hourly output of 7,500 horsepower that was transmitted by the proven Buchli drive system from the Ae 4/7.

Naturally I have this on reserve ...

·
Registered
521 Posts
That monster is going to give your Krokodil an inferiority complex, Dennis!
(Not to mention your depleted wallet!)

I've ordered the Kato Re 6/6 - the ony way I am going to find out if their quality is all it is cracked up to be.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a (newly acquired) Minitrix Ae8/14 and it runs great - when I am ever at home to run it! Currently am in Switzerland witht the wallet locked up and trying to aviod going toWabu in Zurich where I know although the prices are astranomical their models are second to none with many n guage items unavailable elsewhere.

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
>trying to aviod going to Wabu in Zurich
I found a model shop in Zurich while I was there - it was in Markt Gasse I think - quite close to the river. I don't remember the name. I was there on Monday, the shop was closed and it was raining cats and dogs. Lots of stuff in the window. So the moral is go to Zurich on Monday if you feel your wallet is endangered

David

·
Registered
10 Posts
Was there (Zurich) today and will be there tomorrow - alredy spent 448 francs on a (new) 4 year old unused Lima Minitrain 4 car emu from one shop (www.roundhouse.ch) I know the shop in Marktplatz and if I can find a place to park will visit it. Guess there is no hope for me !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts