Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if any of the Swiss outline modellers (or anyone else) on the Forum could advise me on whether the flat wagons used by BLS / SBB for lorry trains are the same as the Fleischmann rolling road models 5270 through 5279 (apart from the DB designation)? No-one else appears to be making these at present or maybe I missed something when I checked HAG, Roco, Bemo and Trix.

David

·
is asleep
758 Posts
QUOTE (dwb @ 31 May 2007, 19:42) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I was wondering if any of the Swiss outline modellers (or anyone else) on the Forum could advise me on whether the flat wagons used by BLS / SBB for lorry trains are the same as the Fleischmann rolling road models 5270 through 5279 (apart from the DB designation)? No-one else appears to be making these at present or maybe I missed something when I checked HAG, Roco, Bemo and Trix.

David
Hello David,

If you mean the 'rollende landstrasse' or ROLA trains then Fleischmann do the wagons in at least DB and SBB liveries, and probably ÖBB and FS too. They also do all four varieties in N scale too. (Trix are doing them for the ÖBB in H0 this year, and I think the FS too (green).) The thing is Fleischmann only sell the non-DB ones as export-models directly to the corresponding country i.e. only Swiss shops can get the SBB/HUPAC ones, and the item codes you want are:

5270 CH - SBB Hupac Niederflurwagen grau Endwagen

5271 CH - SBB Hupac Niederflurwagen grau Mittelwagen

They only do the DB ones with trucks (the Trix ÖBB/ÖKOMBI ones have trucks though). As in N scale you only need one endwagon and can use the second buffer on the mittelwagen at the other end of the rake, I am pretty sure. You probably want a HUPAC sleeper/rest car for the drivers, I think Liliput did one but I'm sure Fleischmann or someone else will. Hope this helps.

I'm not sure if anyone but Trix and Fleischmann do them...it would be silly to have three companies having a go. I don't know how the design differs between the Swiss and Austrian versions of the ROLA wagons so I don't know if Trix did or will do the SBB in H0, and vice-versa Fleischmann the ÖBB...

I'm not normally this well informed but I have just successfully sourced some of the ÖBB/ÖKOMBI ones in N scale from an obscure shop in Austria...

Goedel

·
Registered
94 Posts
QUOTE (dwb @ 31 May 2007, 19:42) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I was wondering if any of the Swiss outline modellers (or anyone else) on the Forum could advise me on whether the flat wagons used by BLS / SBB for lorry trains are the same as the Fleischmann rolling road models 5270 through 5279 (apart from the DB designation)? No-one else appears to be making these at present or maybe I missed something when I checked HAG, Roco, Bemo and Trix.

David
Yes.
The ones used on the SBB and probably BLS also are actually owned by HUPAC and are identical to the Fleishmann 5270 -5279 which are a DB version of the same vehicle. (Saadkmms of 1978/81)

Fleishmann used to offer these decorated in Grey HUPAC livery for sale in Switzerland itself. They did not appear in the general Fleishmann cataloghe at the time. I picked up a train of about 10 of them on a visit there a few years back. Mine are only the bare wagons 5270 & 5271 which is all I saw on offer at that time. The boxes bear the standard numbering with the addition of "CH" stamped after the number.
I haven't been in Switzerland since but they were widely available in model shops all over the country at that time and may well still be. Almost certainly they will be commonly available on the Swiss second hand market.

Several makers have offered the accompanying HUPAC rider coach. The prototype used sevedral different types of rider coach and models of different ones have been produced.
Mine is Lima and based on a modified Schlieren coach in white HUPAC livery.

Hope this helps.
Alex

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to both of you for that information. We will be in Switzerland during the summer, so armed with this information we will look out for these wagons. We hope to visit Zurich where we found a /closed/ model railway shop last year and maybe this time a) the shop will be open and
it won't be raining cats and dogs as well.

David

·
Registered
94 Posts
QUOTE (dwb @ 31 May 2007, 22:57) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks to both of you for that information. We will be in Switzerland during the summer, so armed with this information we will look out for these wagons. We hope to visit Zurich where we found a /closed/ model railway shop last year and maybe this time a) the shop will be open and B) it won't be raining cats and dogs as well.

David
I bought mine in Zurich in a shop just across the river Limatt from the Hauptbahnhof. This was quite a large, well stocked shop but there is no guarantee it will still be there now.

Zurich probably has the widest selection of model shops in Switzerland so you should have no problem finding one.
Buy one of the excellent Swiss railway modelling magazines which are as full of adverts as Continental Modeller is here or just look up the local Yellow Pages. The station itself has many small shops and almost certainly an Information Bureau.

When I visited Switzerland I did it by train on a Holiday Ticket available from the Swiss National Tourist Office in London and also the main entry stations and Airports into Switzerland. This gives you unlimited travel on almost everything that moves in Switzerland including the excellent Zurich tram system. Many shops are on or near a tram route which is extremely useful when it is raining cats and dogs. (An unfortunate by product of all these scenic Alps breaking the clouds.)

Hope this helps.
Alex. W. Stirrat

·
is asleep
758 Posts
QUOTE (dwb @ 31 May 2007, 22:57) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>We hope to visit Zurich where we found a /closed/ model railway shop last year and maybe this time a) the shop will be open and B) it won't be raining cats and dogs as well.
Better luck this year David!

That reminds me of when we were on holiday in northern Italy last year on Lake Maggiore and decided to drive along it's edge all the way into Switzerland and visit Locarno. It was a beautiful day and we stopped at many pleasant Italian lakeside towns, crossed the Swiss border and...it started to rain. We got to Locarno and found firstly they had zero carpark spaces and secondly that they had just started to pack up a big antique/market fair...
I took a picture of the train station and we ran for the car as it absolutely poured down...

QUOTE When I visited Switzerland I did it by train on a Holiday Ticket available from the Swiss National Tourist Office in London and also the main entry stations and Airports into Switzerland. This gives you unlimited travel on almost everything that moves in Switzerland including the excellent Zurich tram system. Many shops are on or near a tram route which is extremely useful when it is raining cats and dogs. (An unfortunate by product of all these scenic Alps breaking the clouds.)
This advice sounds very useful Alex. Along with taking an umbrella...!

Oh yes, just remembered Locarno is very close to the Verzasca Dam that featured in the James Bond film Golden Eye...you can catch a bus up there from the town and I understand that the view is spectacular looking both down Lake Maggiore and along the dam-created Lake Vogorno in the other direction. Where the rain ends up...

Goedel

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
David,

Liliput Austria used to make them in a number of nationalities.
They come up on Ebay quiet often.

All the best,

David

1 - 7 of 7 Posts