Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi All,

My name is Steve B, based in the Midlands, UK I have been lurking for a while.. I am currently building a small fictitious HO Swiss layout. as I enjoy my little SBB shunters, namely Trix Ee 3/3 and my latest recruit a lovely Rivarossi Em 3/3.(an elderly model but a lovely model)

As I run all DCC, I have equipped the Ee 3/3 with the Krois digital coupling system, which is a delight to use..

Shunting goods wagons is what I like most..

Anyway, to the point..

I note something that seems specific to the SBB shunters and that is :

the upper centre light sometimes shows a white "V" on a black background

Try as I have, I cannot find what this indication means

Is it V = forward in German ?
Is it used when the loco is stationary ?
Is it a directional signal ?

I just haven't a clue... ! Can anyone enlighten me, please ?

I shall post updates on my little layout, if you are interested.. (and I discover how to do it !) though its only bare track at the moment... testing reliability, etc

Cheers

Stevie B

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
Hi Stevie B, welcome to the Forum.

>the Krois digital coupling system, which is a delight to use.
I don't know anything about this. Can you point me at a website that explains it please?

David

·
Registered
53 Posts
QUOTE (dwb @ 17 May 2007, 22:32) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Stevie B, welcome to the Forum.

>the Krois digital coupling system, which is a delight to use.
I don't know anything about this. Can you point me at a website that explains it please?

David

Thanks for the welcome Dave

I have used the Krois system and Zimo Decoders for around a year now... but before you jump in.. theres some "essential stuff " you need to know..

1) The couplings are designed to fit into NEM pockets...
2)They can ONLY be used with a decoder that has a timed accessory output... this means a very small current is passed to the coupling for a specified (small) amount of time.
The only decoders I am aware that have this function are Zimo ( which I use) or CT-Elektronik.
3) None of these are readily available in the UK... but I can give you a link to a supplier in Germany who will accept Pay Pal as payment.
4) the decoder cvs that need programming are in the low 100's.. not all DCC equipment can programme them.. ( I take my locos to mate )
5) Its not cheap !! it works out around £55- £60 a loco to fully equip with couplings and decoder. ( couplings are around £12 each) !

In essence, a tiny, timed electric current is passed by the decoder when pushing F1 button.. this in turn operates a tiny electromagnet situated under the coupling which lifts the coupling... to engage or disengage a wagon etc.

On the Zimo decoder I have.. ( also Austrian) it has a programme where when F1 is activated.. dependant on loco travel direction set.. the loco moves slightly towards the wagon... to relieve tension, lifts the coupling to detatch. then loco creeps away... One does need to activate and reset the function, though the movement is all automatic.

The programming is a bit gruelling, in units, tens and 100's etc but the effort is worth it..

Please pm me for more info.. etc..

Meanwhile here are the links..

http://www.krois-modell.at/produkt/digikupp/

and the ENGLISH manual

http://www.krois-modell.at/manuals/

Hope these enlighten you as they did me !

Cheers

Steve

·
is asleep
758 Posts
QUOTE (Busybeas @ 17 May 2007, 21:57) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>the upper centre light sometimes shows a white "V" on a black background
I just haven't a clue... ! Can anyone enlighten me, please ?
Yes I can!

QUOTE Shunting movements in the station
Black board labeled »V« marks the »forward« direction. At night the two lower white lights on both sides are switched on.
This comes from an excellent website called Austro-Swiss Railway Signalling

http://web.utanet.at/smiderkr/index.html

The specific page you want in located in the website labyrinth here:

http://web.utanet.at/smiderkr/asr/ensigchf...ch:fz:rangieren

It is possible this V is short for vorwärts, meaning forward. Hope this helps,

Goedel

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
Thanks for posting that information. They look interesting but I've started to use Kadees on my stock. Maybe I could use Kadees on my freight wagons and these Krois things on passenger services? I presume the Krois coupling is the continental loop pattern?

David

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Hi Brian,

These digital couplings, as far as I have seen from the website, looks like for Marklin .

Does FLM have these with Profi type?

I know ROCO is launching this July a DB V100 shunter with digital couplers, any news from the FLM side?

Baykal

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Many thanks for that Link Goedel, what a mine of information that site is..

As my original post, I had an idea the V meant Forward.. (vorwärts ) its great to have confirmation

David, I use the Krois with Roco universal couplings ( Roco # 40350) as I have found them to be very reliable and the pre-uncoupling feature is excellent. Sadly... they are not currently available.. I believe the new Roco people have not yet secured the rights to manufacture these yet? though there are some around in Europe if you are willing to pay 2 or 3x their original price..

Please forgive my ignorance, dbclass50 but who is the "we" that you are referring to ?
Having a UK source would be great.

Once again, Goedel, many thanks for the information and links

Steve B

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Thanks for that info' Steve - not too sure of the exact position with Roco regarding the couplings or the roadbed for the Rocoline at the moment.

We have a few of the Roco couplings left, but not many.

"We" are Euroscalemodels - please send me a PM if there is anything else we can help with.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Okay, I give up

How do I add an image/photo link from my personal web site ?

I have used the Insert Image button and a script screen pops up.. however when I insert the http address,, I get an error.. thus :

THE FOLLOWING ERROR(S) WERE FOUND
Sorry, dynamic pages in the tags are not allowed[/B]

Can anyone please enlighten me how to add pics to my posts ?

I note in the search facility, others have also mentioned this error, but no reply has yet been posted.

Cheers

Steve B

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
>Can anyone please enlighten me how to add pics to my posts ?
There are three possibilities I can think of:-

1) You work out how to generate a static URL to the images on your site which you wish to post. I used to do this by viewing my images from the "File Manager" portion of my online space, then I cut and pasted the address from the browser address bar as the URL in the Add Image dialog box.

2) You join one of the online image sites (Photobucket has a lot of fans here), load your images onto that and grab the URL.

3) You join up to the Forum Plus program and load your images to a gallery or as an attachment.

David

1 - 12 of 12 Posts