Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Ian Wigglesworth
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have fitted a TCS M1 decoder to a N-gauge 'James' loco 2-6-0 tiny little thing.
Have completed a reset of the decoder and all is working fine.

I then set CV5 top speed volts to a value of 167, this gives a scale speed of approx 80miles an hour.
I then set CV5 to 168 this gave a top scale speed of 120miles an hour!!

Would this be correct?

I would have thought that a value of 1 couldn't make that much difference but actually watching the engine run, the difference is huge!

Any thoughts, anyone.

Oh and I went to Digitrains today......Viessmann commander.....WOW!!!

The colour screen is pin sharp, detail is amazing.

When you first turn it on the screen shows a default layout, touch any of the points or signals on the touch screen, brings up a little box at the top of the screen with different icons for point or signal position, touch one of these icons and the point or signal will change on the main layout display as well as those on the layout as long as it's all connected up to the relevant decoders that is.

Same with locos, press the loco button a pop-up box appears showing lots of buttons that turn the functions on/off, these look like the can all be programmed as well.

It all looks pretty good, shame that the right hand side touch screen buttons don't respond as it made it very limited as to what we could do...basically not very much at all.
Chris only got this Yesterday so bit of a learning curve to go through, this one is going back next week for replacement, not sure if it's a hardware or software fault but I have to say from first impressions this is going to be some bit of kit!

Lots of connections on the back, which I believe many throttles can be plugged into.

Will report back when Chris gets his fully functioning replacement and he lets me have a go

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I have just bought 3 TCS M1 variations for installation in OO scale locos. According to the TCS information, CV5 settings should work according to value 18 = 1 volt. Maximum value should be 255 (which corresponds to about 15 volts, if your power supply can give this amount).

Check to see what speed steps you have configured - if you've set 14 then you could expect such a jump in speed when the chip tries to match the nearest speed setting.

Quick edit: sorry, my maths was sightly out. It corrresponds to nearer 14 volts, but it still depends upon what the full voltage from your power supply is.

·
Ian Wigglesworth
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've actually carried out a decoder reset.

Set new address than altered CV5.
I believe that the default settings are for 128 speed steps, so I can't understand why there is such a big jump from a value of 167 to 168 in CV5.

This difference is really noticeable.
Track voltage is ok.

Very odd.

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (wiggy25 @ 25 May 2008, 23:41) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I've actually carried out a decoder reset.

Set new address than altered CV5.
I believe that the default settings are for 128 speed steps, so I can't understand why there is such a big jump from a value of 167 to 168 in CV5.

This difference is really noticeable.
Track voltage is ok.

Very odd.

***8Hi

default is 28/128, you are right.

The algorythms that dictate voltage by speed step are good but not perfect - so when using shortcuts such as CV5 and CV6 which cause every one of the 128 speed steps to be re-sized simultaneously based on low/mid/max settings, occasionally you'll find one adjustment that seems inconsistent - this is the same as every other decoder I've tried unless you set every single step one at a time which is a right royal pain.

changing Vmid Vmax changes the size of EVERY speed step, so bear in mind that there is more than 1 CV to change when U do this...

When setting CV5 at anything much below max, you should also set CV6 at a new appropriate position.

try CV5 167 and CV6 at somehwere between 60 and 70. this will give a slighly oncave speed curve wityh smaller speed steps below mid speed and better control / responsiveness at low to mid speeds.

the easy rule of thumb for this is Vmid to between 30 and 40% of Vmax

Richard
DCCconcepts

·
Ian Wigglesworth
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Richard!

Put a value of 60 in to CV6 gave me a scale speed of 92mph.

Is there anything that you don't know about DCC

What we really need is for you to move over here and have a shop that is easily accessed by all of us!!

Makes quite a change to be able to have questions answered by someone who actually knows what they are talking about and can explain it in such a way that makes sense and is easy to follow!

Cheers

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (wiggy25 @ 1 Jun 2008, 23:53) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks Richard!

Put a value of 60 in to CV6 gave me a scale speed of 92mph.

Is there anything that you don't know about DCC

What we really need is for you to move over here and have a shop that is easily accessed by all of us!!

Makes quite a change to be able to have questions answered by someone who actually knows what they are talking about and can explain it in such a way that makes sense and is easy to follow!

Cheers

Hi Ian

Many thanks for the kind words - I'm just pleased it helped!

Richard

·
Ian Wigglesworth
750 Posts
Bit more info on the Viessmann commander.

Gaugemaster who are the offical importers are selling this on their website for £750!!!!!

It will be much cheaper to buy this from the Lokshop in Germany than any shop here in the UK.
I also think that most UK retailers would be able to buy it cheaper at retail price in Germany than what they will be able to buy it for from Gaugemaster.

Surely as Gaugemaster have their own DCC system this has to be a conflict of interest?

I think Viessmann should be informed as to me it looks like Gaugemaster are pricing this system out of the market!

This link says it all really!!

Viessmann commander

589euro + what say 15euro shipping gives total of 604euro or £477.35!!!

Somebody is having a laugh!

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (wiggy25 @ 3 Jun 2008, 06:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Bit more info on the Viessmann commander.

Gaugemaster who are the offical importers are selling this on their website for £750!!!!!

It will be much cheaper to buy this from the Lokshop in Germany than any shop here in the UK.
I also think that most UK retailers would be able to buy it cheaper at retail price in Germany than what they will be able to buy it for from Gaugemaster.

Surely as Gaugemaster have their own DCC system this has to be a conflict of interest?

I think Viessmann should be informed as to me it looks like Gaugemaster are pricing this system out of the market!

This link says it all really!!

Viessmann commander

589euro + what say 15euro shipping gives total of 604euro or £477.35!!!

Somebody is having a laugh!
If you're buying German kit of any sort it is far better to buy it from Germany. I have dealt with Modelbahn Kramm for years and pay around half what you would pay in a UK or Australian shop for the same products. At 750 quid I I think it is safe to say these will not be flying off the shelves. Then again you may be surprised. SWD are the importewrs for ESU in the UK and they seem to be selling the ECoS despite it costing far more than they could buy it from Modelbahn Kramm for. I don't think there is too much of a conflict of interest as the Gaugemaster system is pretty basic compared with the Veissmann commander. They wouldn't appeal to the same people.

·
Ian Wigglesworth
750 Posts
Thanks Neil,

Yes, you maybe correct, I still think it's a bit of a cheek for Gaugemaster to have them on the website at £750!!

Still from what I've seen so far it does look good.

I know there is going to be a mark up and I can accept that, but this mark-up is plain silly.

If it does everything it's supposed to, then a retail price over here of £550 should be more than enough, that is almost £100 more than what you can buy it for from Germany, but still much less than what it's being advertised for here.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (wiggy25 @ 3 Jun 2008, 08:37) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks Neil,

Yes, you maybe correct, I still think it's a bit of a cheek for Gaugemaster to have them on the website at £750!!

Still from what I've seen so far it does look good.
Yes Ian, there's no doubt it will be a fantastic system but at twice the cost of the ECoS it may not sell as well as they hoped.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (wiggy25 @ 2 Jun 2008, 20:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I think Viessmann should be informed as to me it looks like Gaugemaster are pricing this system out of the market!
While you're at it ask them why German dealers and/or distributors get a better deal than UK ones !

·
Registered
45 Posts
Viessmann have a forum on their website (in German) and there are some negative comments (product returns for repair etc). for the Command 5300.
Puz..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts