Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After experiencing multiple running problems with engines using Hornby's quite poor standard 00 decoder, I was in dire need of a similar size replacement chip. [Ironically they are all Hornby locos with chip problems. The bachmann engines run fine with the Hornby chip!
],

Best replacement so far: The TCS MC2. Its smaller than the Hornby, being designed to run in N-gauge. But can easily cope with OO or HO - and its miles smoother than the Hornby chip!

So far Ive converted my most troublesome Hornby-chipped locos to the MC2 - and surprisingly they've never ran better!

I'm tempted to convert all my stock to the TCS.

Best features of the MC2 for me are its size, smoothness and the fact that it comes ready insulated in its own sleeve. What a great little chip!

What do other people think of it?

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
Hi

You asked: So far Ive converted my most troublesome Hornby-chipped locos to the MC2 - and surprisingly they've never ran better!

I'm tempted to convert all my stock to the TCS.

Best features of the MC2 for me are its size, smoothness and the fact that it comes ready insulated in its own sleeve. What a great little chip!

What do other people think of it?

*** Are your MC2's the new version with Back EMF? (It'll say so on the instructions). I think this chip is totally superb, having just installed it in a large variety of loco's, I can say that its definately got the best slow running I've seen when in 128 speed step mode.

When I say the best I've seen, I compared its slow running directly with Lenz Gold & ESU LokPilot.

Of the last dozen loco's I chipped, 3 were my own - a Bachmann 9F, a Hornby Princess and a Bachmann 08. All run superbly now, and he Princess is able to run unbelievably slow at speed step 1...about 3 sleepers per minute!

As you said - fully insulated is great, and with the small size and 1 amp motor drive, its perfect for all UK loco's.

Regards

Richard

·
In depth idiot
7,668 Posts
Sounds similar to the Zimo MX62/63/64 decoder family. Small, plastic shrouded, very smooth control characteristics, which has tamed some Bachmann motors (9F was one of these) which started with a bump despite minimum settings on Lenz gold. Also has more cv addressable functions than you can shake a stick at. One I particularly like is directional speed trimming so that steam locos can be speed limited in tender first operation. There is also a drive at scale speed (mph or kmh) function which sounds rather interesting, and location dependent function activation...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts