Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a TCS MC2 loaned to me by a SPROG user and cannot understand what I'm seeing.

After a power up the decoder will not drive the motor until one of the functions is activated. The function output doesn't work until it's turned off and then turned on again.

So, turn on track power, throttle up - nothing. Click F0 and the motor starts. Click F0 off and then on again and the forward direction light comes on. From now on, operation is perfect until the track power is turned off.

Has anyone seen anything like this?

I'm using a SPROG II (no surprise there!) and DecoderPro throttle.

Andrew Crosland

·
Registered
257 Posts
QUOTE (SPROGman @ 21 Mar 2008, 16:01) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm looking at a TCS MC2 loaned to me by a SPROG user and cannot understand what I'm seeing.

After a power up the decoder will not drive the motor until one of the functions is activated. The function output doesn't work until it's turned off and then turned on again.

So, turn on track power, throttle up - nothing. Click F0 and the motor starts. Click F0 off and then on again and the forward direction light comes on. From now on, operation is perfect until the track power is turned off.

Andrew Crosland

Andrew

Is this one of the new decoders with back EMF?

Have you tried resetting the decoder?

Regards

John R
Bromsgrove Models

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
I've installed a lot of these decoders, and never found this problem. This is a great micro decoder and a fantastic price, great value for money. If you fail to gain control there's always the goof proof warranty.

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (SPROGman @ 22 Mar 2008, 01:01) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm looking at a TCS MC2 loaned to me by a SPROG user and cannot understand what I'm seeing.

Andrew Crosland

**Thats wierd one Andrew

TCS does actually offer button control of motor, but not as a factory default :)

Its an excellent little decoder and its pretty rare for such an error to be "out of the box" but anything is possible I guess - either way, I'd do a factory reset then if it persists, replacement is in order... its a processor or software load error.

Regards

Richard

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (Richard Johnson @ 22 Mar 2008, 08:52) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>**Thats wierd one Andrew

TCS does actually offer button control of motor, but not as a factory default :)

Its an excellent little decoder and its pretty rare for such an error to be "out of the box" but anything is possible I guess - either way, I'd do a factory reset then if it persists, replacement is in order... its a processor or software load error.

Regards

Richard
Yes, I found the one button control but the docs imply this is linked to specific functions (buttons) whereas I can kick the decoder into life with any function.

I tried a factory reset even though it is a brand new decoder - no effect.

It's not the only MC2 showing this behaviour so it could also be related to the packets generated by the SPROG, but I can't come up with a theory to explain why the MC2 is happy with the track signal once it's seen a function command. As a sanity check, other brands are OK with this SPROG.

Andrew

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (SPROGman @ 22 Mar 2008, 21:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yes, I found the one button control but the docs imply this is linked to specific functions (buttons) whereas I can kick the decoder into life with any function.

I tried a factory reset even though it is a brand new decoder - no effect.

It's not the only MC2 showing this behaviour so it could also be related to the packets generated by the SPROG, but I can't come up with a theory to explain why the MC2 is happy with the track signal once it's seen a function command. As a sanity check, other brands are OK with this SPROG.

Andrew

***How are the same MC2 with other SPROG?

Richard

1 - 6 of 6 Posts