Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Just found out TCS have released the New Z2 decoder

Z2 Decoder Now Availible! The Z2 is now the smallest decoder from Train Control Systems. Approximately the same size as an 8 pin NMRA plug this powerful little hardwire will serve all of your Z-Scale, N-Scale and Light Duty HO-Scale needs. Here are a few facts you may want to know about the Z2:

* MSRP $34.95
* True Z Scale decoder -- under 7mm in width.
* Fits all Z-Scale Diesel Locomotives.
* Super small size with powerful 1 Amp motor drive.
* Includes all standard TCS decoder features including: Auto-Adjusting BEMF / Load Compensation

Just thought this would interest some of the N and Z modellers

Regards Zmil

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
QUOTE (zmil @ 10 Dec 2008, 11:09) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Super small size with powerful 1 Amp motor drive.

If the 1 amp output is continuous, surely it will be capable of handling most new 00 locos?
Rob

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is not a lot of info available just yet
But they do say suitable for small HO , so OO would be the same

The M series will fit in just about anything HO or OO anyway it is so slim

I try the MC series first , for small loco's The MC series are a little thicker as they have the wiring harness that plugs into the decoder

For the loco's with more room inside the T series as the T series is the most economical

Regards

Zmil

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Yes i use the T series for almost all non sound OO installs and then the M series for tight locos however there are plenty of very small 00 locos that this chip could be very useful for!

Rob

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Another sure winner in small decoders Zmil
no firm price for it in the U.K. having looked at some suppliers but at the quoted $34.95 on the TCS site around £23.50

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
Thanks zmil.

That looks an impressive bit of kit. The smallest decoder prior to this was the Elektroniks DCX75Z which I have in several of my small N Gauge 0-6-0 s.

It will be interesting to compare them performance wise.

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Certainly will be interesting to compare them Expat my 04 was fitted with an Elektroniks and i have a Minitrix 9F fitted with the DCX75Z both giving very good performance.

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
The Elektroniks DCX75Z is the same length and is only slightly (0.3 mm) wider and also has a full 1 amp rating with a maximum 2 amp stall rating. Hence my comment re. comparison tests.

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
***Performance wise it'll be the equal of, and is a great deal easier to use/adjust.

Richard

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
HI

Very interesting, I have not heard of this, shame I cant get onto the TCS web site as it seems to be down or is it just me.

Will have to give them a try.

m

·
Ian Wigglesworth
750 Posts
That is good news!!!

I have had to use the CT Elektronics in a few of my N-gauge locos and they do need a bit of tweaking to get the best out of them.
The other real pain is the CT Elektronics decoders don't have 'Brake-on-DC' as a feature, not when I've been trying them anyway.

The TCS ones all have this feature which proves a very useful function when wanting to have partial automation!

Looks like I will have to get some of these and see how they perform, no doubt excellently like all the other TCS ones I've had.

Good old TCS

·
Registered
531 Posts
QUOTE Performance wise it'll be the equal of, and is a great deal easier to use/adjust.
Sorry Richard, I am not quite clear which transponder you are referring to:
The Elektroniks DCX75Z or TCS Z2 ? I take it you are referring to the latter as probably being better but would be grateful if you would confirm.

·
Registered
193 Posts
QUOTE (wiggy25 @ 23 Dec 2008, 17:25) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have had to use the CT Elektronics in a few of my N-gauge locos and they do need a bit of tweaking to get the best out of them.
The other real pain is the CT Elektronics decoders don't have 'Brake-on-DC' as a feature, not when I've been trying them anyway.

The TCS ones all have this feature which proves a very useful function when wanting to have partial automation!
The DCX75 currently has "Brake on DC", you just have to put the right setting in CV 114. See the documentation (so long as you can read German). CV 114 can set various types of braking, but it only works from s/w version 40 onwards, so it may well be a recent addition.

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (barrymx5 @ 24 Dec 2008, 01:38) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Sorry Richard, I am not quite clear which transponder you are referring to:
The Elektroniks DCX75Z or TCS Z2 ? I take it you are referring to the latter as probably being better but would be grateful if you would confirm.

*** Hi

yes, I'm talking about the TCS decoder

Merry Christmas

Richard

1 - 16 of 16 Posts