Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While browsing an American website (Tonys Trains) I spotted this:-

QUOTE NEW As a result of new European Postal Regulations that require your telephone number to be incorporated on shipping labels, please include your telephone number on online order forms, faxes, emails and any communication requesting an order.

Does anybody have any further info on this as I would be not too happy having my telephone number linked to an address on an address label. When data protection is such a big issue this seems like a huge backward step.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
DT
4,794 Posts
I think that it is because so many overseas parcels are being handled by courier services rather than the national mail service. If they can't find your place, or if they need to squeeze some extra taxes out of you, it is easier to call than to send it back.

I have 4 or 5 courier services that deliver to me as well as the post office. Normal eBay purchases from UK, USA or the East.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Dear Doug,

I have searched the web quite carefully for any mention of this in the bodies responsible for setting postal address label standards at International (UPU) and European level (CEPT) and none of them mention a need for the phone number.

I think this is entirely for the convenience of the delivery agents (e.g. UPS or DHL) and, as usual, they are just trying to blame someone else. Still, if the shop you order from uses these services, you may have to comply.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Whenever I am asked for a phone number I use one of the many "hoax" 0870 ones I have
I then earn income should anybody be daft enough to phone them

I've searched and there are no labelling requirements for a phone number
All that is required are :
Person / Business name
Flat / House number
Postcode
Country

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
You're over a barrel really. If you want to use that supplier then you have to do what they say. I choose suppliers that do not use UPS but sometimes if the only company that provides what I want will only deliver that way then I have to accept that regardless of the fact this will then mean an extra 10-20% on top of the quoted price.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts