Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen the tv ad for the flying scotsman magazine. Saw the tail end last night.
It seems to be a monthly building project for an o gauge model.
Usual thing of umteen issues to buy to build the complete model.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
QUOTE (Smokeyone @ 29 Dec 2007, 07:24) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Has anyone seen the tv ad for the flying scotsman magazine. Saw the tail end last night.
It seems to be a monthly building project for an o gauge model.
Usual thing of umteen issues to buy to build the complete model.

Apologies for my goofy, wrong forum I think, blame christmas festivities................

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
For anybody wanting further information, there is a thread in the news forum which you can read here.

David

·
Registered
147 Posts
It doesn't look like a bad deal to me. I did the maths in my blog and the numbers look pretty good.

The worst problem appeared to be painting the thing and it appears that some of the bits (bolier, tender sides) are ready painted. Assuming the design is good then screws, bolts & superglue ought to be enough to assemble the thing.

Could be a way into the hobby for newbies who want that big famous loco but don't have the skills or cash to hand to buy the kit as a single item.

Phil
My website

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think its fortnightly and at £3.99 that works out at about £500, and then you have to buy a motor for it!
I'm not sure thats a bargin when its going to take over 4 years to complete!

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (Phil P @ 30 Dec 2007, 18:59) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It doesn't look like a bad deal to me. I did the maths in my blog and the numbers look pretty good.

The worst problem appeared to be painting the thing and it appears that some of the bits (bolier, tender sides) are ready painted. Assuming the design is good then screws, bolts & superglue ought to be enough to assemble the thing.

Could be a way into the hobby for newbies who want that big famous loco but don't have the skills or cash to hand to buy the kit as a single item.

Phil
My website

Its weekly

Making a good job will take plenty of skill and patience: I'd certainly expect to see many being started and binned half way through.

Take a look at the brass cab and you'll see that it will certainly need careful preparation and painting - plus, if you choose to use glue, some skill with metal fillers as the "tab in slot" methods of the etch make assembly easier but final filling and finishing harder.

Personally I'd definately Solder all metal parts and use either the correct glue for the plastics chosen by the Mfr or epoxy - a large O scale loco is a substantial thing and standard old superglue won't begin to cut it as a structurally strong adhesive!

Richard

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
I think that another consideration that yoyu need to take intop account is whether the publisher will see the series through to the end. As sales drop off after the initial enthusiasm subsides they may decide "sod it" and terminate the mag. If you are half way through your kit this leaves you high and dry. Also, what about if your part is broken or deformed? You can't ring DJH and ask for a new part.

I saw a similar series before for building a wooden ship and these were my thoughts then. I honestly think that if you intend to build a kit of any sort, buy it complete.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Personally I wouldn't even consider it!

NOW, having said that, IF it was a GWR King class then I'd be first in the queue!

Flying Scotsman....Yeuk!

·
Registered
763 Posts
apparently if you haven't lost interest/the mag is out of publication by then you can buy the motor (and possibly the wheels) for an additional unstated price in about issue 5. Can you really see them finding 125 issues worth of guff to put out in the magazine or is it just going to be instructions every week and not much else?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts