Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This topic has been going on for ages in our forum in Turkey between Marklin users and the rest. When I mean the rest I mean all other major brands that I know of whom are all tender driven. An exception might be the Roco steams which has a kind of shaft running thru the tender to the loco body transmitting the torque to the main wheels as well. I call it 4 wheel drive
.However that has its kickback too because any out of sync tends to lock the loco wheels.

Anyway, I'd like to have yr opinion on this subject. Marklin users claim that their Loco bodies are all, I'd like to call it: Full metal Jacket,all metal plus the motor being in the loco body, all in one, creates a very high pulling power, very null derailments...etc. compared with the tender driven brands.

The funny thing is I am abt to belive its merits too. My Liliput Br 52 is tender driven. The tender is all metal. loco chasis is metal and body plastic. I am experiencing a lot of derailments specially on points. I admit the Br 52 hates curves being a 2 - 10 -0 , but is it due to the fact that its tender driven? The loco body being lighter then the tender?

Thanks

Baykal

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
John and Peter

I've checked clearences they seem OK.

I guess the issue arises with the major 2-10-0 steam locos which are tender driven. Locos being lighter then the tenders.

Like the Br 44,45,50,52. The exception is the roco Br 50 ( the 4 wheel drive one ) which I have encountered no such problem.

I have noticed one thing when they are running backwards, everything seems fine. Tender behaves as the loco. The loco body follows. However when the situation reverses the tender pushes the loco body and most derailments occur with the very first guide wheels derailing first when going thru points and tight curves. Its a matter of weight I guess.

Another issue I've noticed is, the movement tolerances of the 3rd wheel perpendicular to the direction of the rail (i.e the middleone of the 5 ) in liliput is relatively smaller then that of the 2-10-0 of the Roco and Fleiscmanns. Thats probably why my Liliput Br 52's performance on 2nd radius curves is not quite effective.

I completely agree with you Dennis that tenders should be places for sound modules.

I am abt to go DCC and what good is a steam loco if you can't hear its chuff.

Cheers
Baykal

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Brian,

Seems I have solved the problem. Took the piston tails off (what good is a Br 52 without them.Guess have to live with it.) Took off the guide wheels and adjusted the spring mechanism so now it forces well to the rails. The major issue is the "side play" of the driving wheels specially the 3rd of the 5.Its nowhere near to the Roco nor the FLM's side play tolerances.

But anyhow thanks for all the advice its seems to be running well now.

Cheers
Baykal

1 - 3 of 3 Posts