Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi,

I have several tender drive engines and can honestly say that I find little or no difference in performance of either design. I favour the Hornby brass pinned tender which connects to a sprung brass and steel combination found on the engine as in the "Duchess of Sutherland" against the fixed tow and wired connection of say the Airfix "Royal Scots Fusiliers" but this is purley a penicety mental view of the connections as they both perform similarly but with one important exception.

This exception is that the total pickup and return of electrical current is through all six front wheels of the engine equally divided between positive and negative and this provides an very wide range of contact when crossing points or heavens forbid dirty rail sections and it is found that in these circumstances the Airfix system can be trolled very slowly accross any hazard without it failing to move or indeed it even thinking of stuttering. The duchess is similarly equiped but spreads her 5 pole return similarly through it's front wheels whereas it picks up it's positive feed through it's tender wheels. It too is a remarkably smooth 'operator'.

Locos that are seen to be suffering from seisure when being moved along by tender drive are almost certainly suffering from simply not being looked after or rather more likely that the Axel has been pushed by some extraneous force through the wheel hub and is fowling the valve motion causing it to lockup.

Contrary to all the aforegone and given a free reign I would have all my engines boiler driven purely for aesthetics, but it is unthinkable that I should rid myself of the superb detailing as provided by Airfix and for that mater Mainline both of which as far as I can tell are still I think being used by Messrs Bachmann with the singular exception wheel rim and tyre thickness, but not in all cases.

Cheers.
Tot-na-do

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi,

I wrote elsewhere that I was having difficulty in buying traction tyres for my Tender Drive Air-Fix Royal Scot Class "The Royal Fusiliers" and it may be of interest to those in this Forum that want to re-tyre their 13mm wheeled Tenders so:

With respect to the traction tyres and their location I found that "The New Railway Modellers Shop" have them now by default and they are held under the heading of 13mm Traction tyres. I have had six for my one Air-Fix Royal Scot Class, they are a very good fit and there's no mistaking the traction that is possible by the Air-Fix Royal Scot when fitted with all new traction tyres, it is formidable pulling all the 14 coaches in my collection 3 of which are the super long BR Mk II's with absolute ease. It was a piece of cake although of course the rake still didn't like being shunted backwards around a curve.

Cheers,
'Totnado'.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.