Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Hi Folks,

Am I missing somethng ? My loco fleet includes all the major manufactures and quite a number of Kit built also.(German HO)
(Try a Rivarossi loco with there clutch drive, when you turn off the power the drive disengages and the loco freewheels,
pure magic,
shame the technology seemed to disappear with the old company.
)
I find no problems in the running of any of them, whether tender powered or loco powered.
Most will pull a prototype load and many will exceed it by miles.
Good maintenence will reap many rewards in performance.

My 2 pence worth.

David

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
If you have a quality drive system it really does not matter where the drive comes from, the topic seems to have come down to quality issues, not which type is better.

I have the same type of loco (Rivarossi DB BR 10) one with loco mounted drive and the other with tender mounted. these loco's are asked to pull away a fifteen coach rake from a stand with realistic acceleration and do not seem to differ in performance.
I have used both types of drive for over 40 years and accept both as more than equal to each other.

Control is from the Roco ASC 2000 analogue system.

David

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
The system you have illustrated for the tender mounted drive is very similar to the type I used in the 1970's on all my GWR kit built loco's, boiler was filled with weight and the tender was filled with a U S pitman motor with flywheel.
Worked extremely well

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Hello Cameron,

As Richard has suggested, but please watch the radius of your curved track

The Tenderiser looks to be a mechanically sound solution and the results should be well worth the extra work involved.

Experiment and find what suits you.

Regards
David

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.