Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I am wondering if there is a study somewhere in the MRF that critically compares Steam locomotives with respect to their drive systems. Purely tender driven, Tender driven with shaft driving the engine wheels and engine driven (with and without pick-ups on the tender wheels). Could somebody please pont me to it.

I have a navy class 00 Gauge Hornby from their Venice Simplon set. It has the motor in the engine with extra pick-ups on the tender. It runs pretty well and has excellent speed. I don't possess a tender driven loco but am tempted by whats available out there.

But on the face of it I am put off by the thought of it as I don't see how tender driven locos could be as good as or better than engine driven.

Cheers

Railquest

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So it seems that most of you guys like engine drives and given a choice would not go for tender drives. The only point so far that has emerged in favour of tender drive is that you don't have to take apart the engine and its delicates to service the motor.

I believe current OO offerings from Hornby and Bachmann have their motors in the engine so you have the same complication anyway (if you are playing both sides of the channel ), if anything, continental models are sturdier so you have less of a chance of damaging them as compared to Hornby or Bachmann.

In case of continental engines, it seems it is more of an issue of availability of engine driven locos rather than preference.

regards

Railquest

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.