Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Hi All,

In a similar vein to desert island discs, when constructing or running your layouts what essential item would you be lost without, anything can be included Controls, tools, scenic items,electrics, glues,baseboard construction materials .....etc
It may be you have several favourite items.

I hope this posting brings some good ideas for us all to benefit from, leading to others using things we all find essential making layouts and operations better
and increasing our knowledge and understandings of the hobby, at the same time sharing stories and experiences.

To start off i wouldnt be without my Xuron track cutters
as cutting with a disc leaves grindings everywhere.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Five of my "essentials" are ;

Analogue (not digital) multimeter (better for when whatever you are testing is varying).
Wire strippers.
Minidrill & tools.
Razor saw.
Back to back gauge.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
A long extended compass from Lidl. Great for marking curves.
Cordless drill/screwdriver. Be nice to have 20 so you don't keep having to change bits. (The ones that fully charge in 45 seconds are ideal.)
Automatic wire strippers.
Pin push.
Magnifying visor. I couldn't do anything without one.
Helping Hands tool. I couldn't solder without one.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The list all sounds good so far... but I'd also really need my computer... to post a "help please" thread on MRF when I get stuck!!!

Brian in Sunny Phuket

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
I'm with you on that one Bigdog.

Apart from that it would have to be my trusty Antec soldering iron closely followed by my magnifying glass. N Gauge is not particularly compatible with 62 year old eyes.

Expat.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I would have to say my DAB digital radio that I can hear radio 5 live on whilst in my shed beavering away.

·
Registered
495 Posts
My dog .He sits under my workbench thoughtfully picking up scalpel blades I drop and other bits .These are then traded for doggy delights .My wife disapproves quite vocally but the dog and I seem to survive .Well, it saves me bending down and searching .other than that ,I suppose an airbrush is something I consider essential ..It blends everything together .

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This morning my diamond cutter came in handy for installation of a decoder,
used in my trusty minicraft drill i have had for years it was one of my best buys and has paid for itself several times over.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (Brian Considine @ 13 Sep 2008, 00:46) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Five of my "essentials" are ;

Strange - I thought I would have figured on that list!

However, in my case it is probably my "emergency scenery repair kit" for St. Laurent. This consists of paintbrushes, acrylic paints, flocks, etc. etc. for patching up those little "knocks" that any travelling layout collects from time to time.

Regards

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Well I would say its my beer fridge in my train room.

Something goes wrong, I can always have a cold beer to think about how to fix it. Sometimes, more than one beer is required!

John

All I need is a saterlite TV decoder in my tain room and all my vices will be in one room!

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Two things I find essential when modelling are a Greggs close by (or at Brians new home Modens) for that quick midday snack and Poundland who have stocked all kinds of usefull odds and sods, from a tub of 100 small cable ties to Cararma Ford Transits at one time or another. Aparticular favourite has to be the modellers knife set, three handles and a selection of blades for a quid, I've seen these on trade stands at exhibition for up to five times that.
My multi-tool from Woollies is also a great bit of kit to have.

Andii

·
Registered
642 Posts
QUOTE (john woodall @ 19 Sep 2008, 13:32) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Well I would say its my beer fridge in my train room.

Something goes wrong, I can always have a cold beer to think about how to fix it. Sometimes, more than one beer is required!

John

All I need is a saterlite TV decoder in my tain room and all my vices will be in one room!

My wife was thinking at one point when I was doing my last layout of doing that exact same thing and was also talking about putting a bed in there as well.

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wish i could move my Plasma screen telly and surround sound system in here with the layout
though the bed is only four feet from the tracks
maybe i should knock a hole in the wall to see my 42" screen

·
Registered
642 Posts
QUOTE (upnick @ 20 Sep 2008, 01:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Wish i could move my Plasma screen telly and surround sound system in here with the layout
though the bed is only four feet from the tracks
maybe i should knock a hole in the wall to see my 42" screen

I don't think the landlord would be too chuffed though Nick.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
QUOTE (rossi @ 13 Sep 2008, 20:08) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>My dog .He sits under my workbench thoughtfully picking up scalpel blades I drop and other bits .These are then traded for doggy delights .My wife disapproves quite vocally but the dog and I seem to survive .Well, it saves me bending down and searching .other than that ,I suppose an airbrush is something I consider essential ..It blends everything together .

Your wife is jealious; put her under the table instead of the dog.

·
garage hobbit&#33;&#33;&#33;
1,715 Posts
I also like to have supply of plasters on standby, usually for when either Andii or me get a bit carried away with drill and after a cold beer has been had and you think that knives are still a good idea to use at midnight!

I couldnt model with out a cd player to blast out some 'Maiden' and like

Brian
CME Milldale

1 - 20 of 38 Posts