Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
The next volume of the British Film Institute's rerelease on DVD of films by the British Transport Film Unit is due out in late April.

Unfortunately the BFI website doesn't tell me exactly what's in it!

Regards,
John Webb

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
QUOTE Unfortunately the BFI website doesn't tell me exactly what's in it!

I hope we get a few more train specific films on this next one.

David

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (John Webb @ 19 Apr 2008, 06:13) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The next volume of the British Film Institute's rerelease on DVD of films by the British Transport Film Unit is due out in late April.

Unfortunately the BFI website doesn't tell me exactly what's in it!

Regards,
John Webb
The title seems to suggest Jimmy Saville.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Camden Miniature Steam Services have given it a brief mention in their current Railway Modeller ad. There is apparently one called 'The North-East moves forward' which is entirely steam, the remaining 16 films date from the 1960s mostly with 3 from 1980/82. So it would seem to be about the transition to modern traction on the railways.

Regards,
John

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
QUOTE There is apparently one called 'The North-East moves forward' which is entirely steam,

Ummmm, nice

David

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Right, my copy arrived today. Contents are:
Disc 1:
The North Eastern Goes Forward (1962) - moderisation of the NE Region of BR
Right Time means Right Time aka The Pain Train (1969) - how small delays at each stop make a train run late
Motorsport tries Motorail (1969) - Car club travels from London to Torbay
Discovering Railways (1977) - a 12 minute look at BR's activities
Current Affairs on the Midland (1980) - progress in electrification on the St Pancras/Bedford line
Railways Conserve the Environment (1970) - a look at Railway architecture and related matters
Discover Britain By Train (1978) - made for the North American audience
Old Sam the Signalman (1982) - film showing schoolchildren the workings of new style level crossings

Disc 2:
Journey Inter-City (1972) - "colourful pastiche of live action and graphics to music..."
Power to Stop (1979) - a look at modifying brake block material to improve performance and life
Inter-City 125 (1976) - design and construction of the Inter-City 125 trains
A New Age for Railways (1979) - a look at new railways in UK, Poland, Italy, Japan, Germany and France
The Stone Carriers (1982) - looking at the carriage of aggregates (and the last BTF Unit film)
The Finishing Line (1976) - made to discourage children from traspassing on railway lines
Robbie (1979) - also made to discourage tresspass but with less shocking scenes than 'The Finishing Line'
Centenary Express (1980) - celebration of 100 years of railway catering on a steam-hauled special
Sir Peter Parker talks to Jimmy Savile (1982) - made for possible internal staff use

Seems we are definately back to trains with this one!

Regards,
John Webb

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
looks like a possible birthday treat for me.

hopefully I can lay hands on one.

Regards

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Signal Box at Anstey, Leicester, is where I got mine from. www.signal-box.com

I've now looked at a few tracks:
"The Finishing Line" ends up with scores of 'injured' and 'dead' children when a whole school tries to carry out a walking race through a tunnel on an active railway line.
"The North Eastern Goes Forward" has some steam, but quite a lot about diesel locos and DMUs being introduced as well under the Modernisation Plan.

Regards,
John Webb

1 - 8 of 8 Posts