Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Specific to the Bachmann 9F, my four specimens have been galloping around the layout for 15 years now, pulling trains of up to 2.5kg, and keep in mind I operate daily if possible. Still run equally smoothly compared to the brass bearing models I use. I reckon that the light plastic compatible greases now available do the job of wear reduction much better than the oil of the past, when significant wear was observable in mazak chassis block axle holes.

Until we can persuade more manufacturers to take up the 0.6mm flange depth that Heljan have been using, we are stuck with the need for compromise when wheels are closely spaced, to enable the flanges of adjacent wheelsets to clear. Bachmann opted for equidistant axle spacing on their 9F, the compromise an extra 0.5mm, so a 2mm overlength coupled wheelbase. I have yet to read a single complaint about this, let alone a review that picked this up; but what is evident is equidistant axle spacing as on the prototype, a better compromise in my opinion.
No! The problem with Heljan flanges is they derail when going over any slight hump and eight coupled chassis just cantilver of the tracks. Good running is far more important than a small inaccuracy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Trevoro, you terrify me, what has Heljan to do with this or is it a copy of something you see on the loco?

'No! The problem with Heljan flanges is they derail when going over any slight hump and eight coupled chassis just cantilver of the tracks. Good running is far more important than a small inaccuracy.'

Any way if it comes in too expensive they can forget it, I have 9 of these by Bachman and they are all great, pull the CMX up the 1 in 30, I love 'em but if they are not close in price then it'll flop surely Hornby would not be so dumb!
There was a reply saying that Hornby/Bachmann should adopt Heljan flange depths and then the 9f could have correct wheel distances, I replied that would be disastrous for running quality

·
Registered
3 Posts
These minor humps are totally in scale with the protype and with track laid on concrete rectrificating is difficult no other models in my fleet of over 500 cause problems in including kit built loco with scale wheels. The problem only occurs at a couple of locations one when coming off a cantered high speed track curve in a cast concrete tunnel, the Heljan loocs are not to the agreed RP25 wheel standard and another on a cured point 5ft radius where as many Peco points do over time distort slightly raisong the area around the frog. The APT ran around my layout at 170 MPH scale speed for 3 Hours withot derailment the garden layout is a great test track for how stock should run. If its only one piece of stock that causes a problem the problem is the stock if several locos cause a problem its the track. Many other modellers hvae complained about similar problems with Heljan steam locos.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts